S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans
View Poll Results: A poll
6 speed manual
71.62%
5 speed tiptronic
28.38%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Manual or Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:25 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Manual or Tiptronic?

love the 6-speed, love being in control of my rpm's. also makes it much more enjoyable to drive

Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

Stick. (even with the rubbery one in the B5S4...but a replacement is surely in the cards...). I'm one who loves a stick and can hardly think of (enjoying) the driving experience in a car any other way. Both my S4 and BMW 330ZHP are 6 speeds...my MR2 (and previous little toyotas and our 86 Acura Integra) - all 5 speeds. Our Millenia was an Auto (though I often made much use of the unique Mazda "hold" feature to shift the gears...)...and though I chose the Millenia - not available (in the states) with m/t -over BMW 3/5 and other (manual) possibilities - always regretted not getting a car with a stick - even though the Millenia was a great car that provided lots of driving pleasure. My Mustang is an auto as well - would have loved a stick in it too - though I don't mind the auto - but its mostly a relaxed cruiser (with some ooph certainly) - but IMO a m/t is really where its at for performance driving.

Funny though - the fasted car I have ever driven - a 92/93? Supra Twin Turbo (modded to 500+hp) was an auto...and my friend deflected my protest over this (choice) claiming that the auto was actually quicker then the stick...(said stick had wheel spin where auto put power down better)....don't know - but damn was that car fast! (I still would have preffered m/t even if what he said was true....)

Old 10-22-2004, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

I have the tip but wish I had the 6 speeder. I have the cash for K04's but don't feel like paying for a new tranny.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:18 PM

can't drive Automatic every time i get in one i screw something up go to park it i'll leave it in drive shut the car off and can't figure out why the key won't come out of the ignition I have only owned 1 automatic car out of all the cars I have bought it was a 85 ford tempo had fun with it bought it for $200 and I hit everything with this car probley the most fun car I ever owned just because I didn't care at all about it thing lasted me 6 months till one day she just didn't want to go any more

Old 10-22-2004, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Vader

I have the tip but wish I had the 6 speeder. I have the cash for K04's but don't feel like paying for a new tranny.

sometimes i wish i went with 6spd too... but with all the traffic i go through, i love my tip. its up to you... buy one of each if you need to

Old 12-18-2004, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

the autos tend to be faster than manuals when cars are boosted because there is not a boost drop between shifts(supras), manuals lose their boost temporarily when they shift

Old 12-19-2004, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 99a4audi

love the 6-speed, love being in control of my rpm's. also makes it much more enjoyable to drive
Ditto..... I've always had sticks in my performance cars of the past (89/69 vettes, 911sc), and was raised on sticks (learned to drive on a 3 sp manual 69 GTO when i was 9!), so never has been a consideration to get an automatic (on cars I am enthusistic about driving!).... I live in LA though, so I always had a second car (wife's usually) that was an automatic, and usually a SUV of some sort (Beemer X5 4.4 now, which is no slouch either, and has an auto/man tiptronic type tranny). We had a 99 A6 with the tip, and although apples and oranges comparing it to my '01 S4 Avant, I hated not being in control of the rpms and shifts. When I originally was shopping for my S4, I drove both the Tip and the 6 spd..... for me, no comparison.... 3.5 years later, I'm still very happy with my black on black 6 spd Avant, and find that even in traffic, with the gearing being what it is and the motor being so strong, I don't have to downshift THAT often, I mean I don't strain the engine, but it does handle slower speeds in higher gears very well. If I was a 9-5 guy having to deal with rush hours everyday, I might reconsider, but I don't have to drive that often in high traffic hours...... even when I do, as soon as it breaks clear and I throw it into second and stomp on it, all that 'in command' pleasure overcomes the slight displeasure I had to endure for a while... LOVE THIS CAR....

Old 12-20-2004, 06:03 PM
4th Gear

ya totally agree, but i learned how to drive manual when i was 16 at a car dealership on a POS nissan driving aorund the lot. it helped alot and now i love driving standard.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

One of the reasons I bought an Audi (was looking for new car, not just audi) was to get out of a manual. When I lived in a small town, my 5-speed mazda was great fun. But dallas traffic wears me out with a stick. I think the tip is a good comprimise between a boring auto and a fun (when not in traffic) stick. I'm enjoying mine so far, and my left leg is too :P

Old 12-20-2004, 08:37 PM
4th Gear

ya totally understand about people in traffic like dallas and LA and places like that. when i get caught in traffic my leg kills but i love manual, tip is fun also

Quick Reply: Manual or Tiptronic?