S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

looking to buy used B7 S4 - avoid auction sold ones?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007 | 05:33 PM
|
1st Gear
Default looking to buy used B7 S4 - avoid auction sold ones?

Hello Audi people,

I plan to buy an S4.Test drove one today (B7 Avant) and I liked it. Expected it to feel a little sportier overall, but I didn't really get to flog it.

I've been checking out CARFAX reports, and some of the used car dealers purchased their S4's at auction (off-lease stuff). Why didn't the Audi dealer keep it? I've heard that (for BMW anyway) that the dealer gets dibs, and only the ones they don't want go to auction.

Any thoughts? Should this worry me?

Thanks!
-Alan

Old 12-09-2007 | 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: looking to buy used B7 S4 - avoid auction sold ones?

A lot of dealers have money invested in the cars and they want to get rid of them so they dont lose a bunch of money, so they sell them at private dealer auctions to get them off their hands. This helps to rotate the cars and since any dealership could go to these auctions they could find cars like ours. I wouldnt be to worried take the car for a spin and check it out good I dont think they are going to sell you some complete lemon, get a warranty if your skeptical. Ive bought 2 S4's from these dealer auctions as well as a few other cars not as nice as either of my S4's.

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:29 AM
|
1st Gear

The one's I'm looking at are still under factory warranty, I was just worried that the dealers shipped them to Auction because they didn't want them for a reason that I would also want to avoid the car for. It's good to hear from somebody who's done it and had a good experience.

Wait a minute... maybe you are one of those dealers trying to trick me[sm=insomnia.gif] lol

Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I am trying to trick you! Shucks ya caught me. gigs up! But in all seriousnes dealerships normally sell their cars to these auctions so they can avoid a potential "Black Hole" of a car. Even though most of us know that these S4's are hard to come by not everyone knows its a gold mine. But like I said check the car over first, sometimes they do sell flood damaged cars and hope they sneak under the radar. All I can say is check out the car first see whats "New" on it and ask yourself or the dealer if it looks wierdly new find out why. if that makes sense. But if you look it over and drive it and everything checks out fine, you should have nothing to worry about, especially if its still under warranty.