S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Input from S4 owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Input from S4 owners

I am serious about buying an S4, but I wanted to know if owners of S4's have regretted buying due to reliability of the car. Currently, I am looking at the IS350 or S4. I really love the S4, it has everything that I want, just unsure of the reliability of the car. I don't want to spend so much money on buying a car then having to continuously deal with issues. Please give me your input. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:58 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Not an S4 owner but my A6 does have the 2.7T in it which was the B5 S4 engine ('97-'02)

B6 and B7 use the 4.2 (V8) '02-'08

B8 use the supercharged 3.0 '09-present

so i guess it depends on which model year you are looking at getting. In any case the overall maintenance and repair costs are likely to be higher than with the IS350 but then again the experience is also likely to be better than with the IS350

that is about as good as I can do without more information from you

good luck

Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

2012 is the model year that I am looking to buy.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

In that case

overall maintenance and repair costs are likely to be higher than with the IS350 but then again the experience is also likely to be better than with the IS350

Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Dont buy the Stronic

So long as you are buying a MANUAL transmission, there shouldnt be a problem. However, I have purchased the STronic and having all sorts of issues. I am a performance geek, and this transmission does NOT do the job. It has all sorts of little tricky issues. Please read my other threads and come to your own conclussion, but just know that I now have 1,000 miles on the car and REALLY upset about the problems and the answers... Even test drove two others with Stronic that also have the same issues....

Dealership answer "When a TCM update comes out, if it does, we will call you". WOW.. after $60k.. A$$holes if you ask me. Called Audi Customer Relations... no help. Basically they need enough people with the same problems before even looking into it... STronic is junk.. Which of course im stuck with.

By the way.. if they can fix that s tronic trans... or someone comes up with a TCM tune, this car would KILL it... Everything else about this car is simply amazing... and I am a 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo owner as well..

Last edited by PAAudinut; 09-24-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PAAudinut
So long as you are buying a MANUAL transmission, there shouldnt be a problem. However, I have purchased the STronic and having all sorts of issues. I am a performance geek, and this transmission does NOT do the job. It has all sorts of little tricky issues. Please read my other threads and come to your own conclussion, but just know that I now have 1,000 miles on the car and REALLY upset about the problems and the answers... Even test drove two others with Stronic that also have the same issues....

Dealership answer "When a TCM update comes out, if it does, we will call you". WOW.. after $60k.. A$$holes if you ask me. Called Audi Customer Relations... no help. Basically they need enough people with the same problems before even looking into it... STronic is junk.. Which of course im stuck with.

By the way.. if they can fix that s tronic trans... or someone comes up with a TCM tune, this car would KILL it... Everything else about this car is simply amazing... and I am a 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo owner as well..
Saw this post after I bought the S4. I now have 350 miles on the car and first thing I noticed was the s tronic doesnt shift the way I want it to. Feels slow sometimes. Also, manual shifting from 1st to 2nd takes me to 3rd. S tronic shifts to 3rd. If I dont shift manually, then it shifts correctly to 2nd. This is the only issue I have with the car.