S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

I am considering buying a used S4. what do i need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
1st Gear
Default I am considering buying a used S4. what do i need to know?

I am looking at a used 2007 s4 and wanted to know what i should look for. It is an automatic but i can deal with that. It is from an audi dealership and will have the remainder of the 6yr/100k warrenty.

is there anything i should check specifically to make sure it is in good shape?
is there any packages or accessories I should be sure to get from the dealer?
what is a fair price for a 2007 S4 with around 20K miles on it?
really just any helpful information you guys can provide me would be great.

Thanks a ton!

Last edited by buyingacarsoon; 01-17-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

If the warranty is still in place you shouldn't have any problems. Id just look around the car carefully for nicks and scratches to the paint and body. I had a BMW dealership try to pull a fast one on me fortunately I caught it in time and wound up not buying the car.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

You could also pull a carfax report...dealership usually will provide it. You can get accident history, number of owners, etc. Not always 100% complete but it helps.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

if you are disappointed with it being auto i would not get it, when i was looking for mine i looked all over the country. the right deal will come along if patient, i waited about 9 months. but now looking at you name i guess that is not an option.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Just got a b6 slushbox.

As far as the automatic goes, if the shoe fits....

I drive on the freeway alot, and prone to sittin in traffic - I didn't want to deal with the clutch in traffic anymore. Maybe I'm getting old, the next best compromise was the auto s4. It still hauls *** and can spank a huge percentage of the cars around here. But, like beastos says, if you're a manual kinda person you should absolutely not get an auto and not even consider it. If it suits your lifestyle then you should.

An S4 with 20k is not really going to show any issues that could develop typically on the car, plus it's under warranty so I wouldn't worry about those types of things. Check for shadetree body repairs, non oem body parts and wildly different manufacturing dates on tailights and headlights...etc, they'll give you a clue to look harder at the car.

The only strong suggestion I have for dealer stuff is the rubber trunk liner they sell, I looked at so many that looked like they were hauling livestock that shat bleach. Maybe it's just me but messed up and thrashed trunk liners look nasty and I've always used it as a guage on how the PO took care of the car.
It's 99 bux at my dealer, sunset in portland.

As for fair price, it varies greatly depending on what corner of the continent you're on.

Good luck and show us some pics when/if you do pick it up.