S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

how much crap am i going to get for having someone...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pepsicolla
I wouldnt let anyone else work on my car. I've worked as a mechanic in the past and thats just my preference.
However, i disagree with the idea that he's some how not making a good decision....because he can do it himself. OH THE INJUSTICE OF IT ALL!!!!!

My older brother is also very mechanical. He does most everything on his 04 S4. (he pulled the motor and rebuilt the heads on his own) Occasionally he drops the car off at my old shop and pays for work he could do, simply because he doesn't have the time or isn't in the mood to spend his time under the hood. His relationship with the car hasn't changed because, here and there, he's inclined to pay someone else to get durty.
lol.. um.. you need to change your signature.. somewhere in there i noticed you mentioned learn how to work on cars if you dont know how.. .. and if you do know how why in the world would you pay someone else to do it? unless your just really rich and a *****.... and honestly.. i think both of the valve covers are pretty easy.. im just wondering if you have cam adjuster seals leaking that youll have to do as well.. now.. those.. lol.. those are fun..

Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigern45
lol.. um.. you need to change your signature.. somewhere in there i noticed you mentioned learn how to work on cars if you dont know how.. .. and if you do know how why in the world would you pay someone else to do it? unless your just really rich and a *****.... and honestly.. i think both of the valve covers are pretty easy.. im just wondering if you have cam adjuster seals leaking that youll have to do as well.. now.. those.. lol.. those are fun..
My signature, for the most part, speaks in regard to builds, Not routine maintenance....
As stated i work on all my cars but a simple job that can be had for $200 shouldnt be frowned on. If you dont have the time or garage then theres no shame in paying someone $200 to knock something out for ya. It shouldnt be done every time though.

Now for those guys who drop their car off for 2 months, allowing their mechanic to install every mod, and never learn anything...... i despise.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pepsicolla
My signature, for the most part, speaks in regard to builds, Not routine maintenance....
As stated i work on all my cars but a simple job that can be had for $200 shouldnt be frowned on. If you dont have the time or garage then theres no shame in paying someone $200 to knock something out for ya. It shouldnt be done every time though.

Now for those guys who drop their car off for 2 months, allowing their mechanic to install every mod, and never learn anything...... i despise.
i was just being smart.... ;-)

Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM

okay so i cant work on it this weekend..the shop is being used for work purposes and i cant fit my car in there

Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
1st Gear
Default do your cam seals

Im an audi tech in north jersey. If you are doing the valve cover gaskets and dont want to take them apart twice, DO THE CAM TENSIONER SEALS AT THE SAME TIME. More than likely they are more of your leak already and if they arent the will be leaking soon.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 AM
2nd Gear

i actually did mine twice just because of that reason.. a valve cover leak.. is well.. a drip drip type of leak.. smoke was billowing out the fenderwells the oil was coming out so fast.. that is a cam adjuster leak.. so id definitely look into it as more of the concern at this point.. my actual cam seals were perfect.. no leaks at all.. so i didnt have to do a timing belt/water pump..

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 AM

yea the more i've been reading the more im thinkin it might be my cam adjuster seals too... i dont have any smoke billowing out but it reaks of burning oil when i open the hood or turn on the heater or if im at a drive through window. i want to get that special cam adjuster tool first too. the boat is going to be in the shop for a while tho, we're replacing the non skid on it and we ran out of adhesive remover and denatured. oh well...with time i guess