S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

how much crap am i going to get for having someone...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Default how much crap am i going to get for having someone...

else replace my valve cover gaskets for me? im pretty good with a wrench but this is how much i hate working on my s4. ive read the diy and it looks do-able but the shop is only charging 200 for both. anyone else feel this way?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM

i say id you could do it then do it but itll take a better part of the day, keep in mind that it will be a b*itch everything is and if ur having second thoughts just let the shop do it

Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

I think 200 is a fair price. If not for the drivers side valve cover its a pretty easy job.
But if your not to concerned with the money then have em do it.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:46 PM

It is quite simple to do.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

i agree .. simple and definately worth learning more about your car.. see.. this is where the owner/car relationship steps up a level.. you not wanting to take it makes me think your not serious about your relationship with your vehicle.. hrm.. didnt you reply to a post that you hate your car?? its all starting to make sense now...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

I wouldnt let anyone else work on my car. I've worked as a mechanic in the past and thats just my preference.
However, i disagree with the idea that he's some how not making a good decision....because he can do it himself. OH THE INJUSTICE OF IT ALL!!!!!

My older brother is also very mechanical. He does most everything on his 04 S4. (he pulled the motor and rebuilt the heads on his own) Occasionally he drops the car off at my old shop and pays for work he could do, simply because he doesn't have the time or isn't in the mood to spend his time under the hood. His relationship with the car hasn't changed because, here and there, he's inclined to pay someone else to get durty.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigern45
i agree .. simple and definately worth learning more about your car.. see.. this is where the owner/car relationship steps up a level.. you not wanting to take it makes me think your not serious about your relationship with your vehicle.. hrm.. didnt you reply to a post that you hate your car?? its all starting to make sense now...
did i mention its up for sale? lol. i love working on cars. i have a restoration project im currently working on which is in a million peices right now and my previous car i did everything myself and invested a good 6k dollars into it in performance and looks and everything. the S4 was my dream car all through high school and i finally got to the point in my career where i could afford one and i think its ironic that i dont even like it. i baby it like no other with routine washing polishing vacuuming, oil changes, ect but theres just something about the engine that just **** in my coffee. cant quite put a finger on it, oh wait i remember it was designed for people with midget hands. i decided im just going to man up and do it. in the process im changin that damned driver side O2 sensor and the nasty dirty lookin coolant tank with a fresh new clean one. hopefully ill have time this weekend to do it and ill take that 200 dollars and put it into somethin on my resto

Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 PM

or save it for the next thing that breaks

Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Agreeed, the drivers side gasket is a PITA. But easy compared to some things I've done. Passenger side is super super easy to change. I know you said you were going to change it yourself. But the $200 isn't a bad price, considering the gaskets themselves is ~$70.

On another note, I'd say that the work I've done on my car isn't very hard, Knock on wood. I just think its the initial diagnostic is what kills me. Theres a million things that could be broken and I swear it takes forever to find the initial cause. I love my car, but I'm not going to deny that I've thought about selling my S4 for a more reliable car. I do love her though! Thank god for forums!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by RoboRabbit
or save it for the next thing that breaks
crriinnggee

i already have the gaskets so thats why they're doin it so cheap. im gonna do it tho...i want to now. idk why

Quick Reply: how much crap am i going to get for having someone...