S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

how many mpgs you guys getting??? Gas gauge messed up???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 PM
1st Gear
Default how many mpgs you guys getting??? Gas gauge messed up???

Hey just wondering how many miles you guys are getting to the tank. I have a 2000 s4 and with a good ammount of highway driving i only got 240 miles to the last tank, and i was driving it pretty easy. Does this sound about right? Also how big is the B5 fuel tank? The manual says 16.5 allons or something but the most ive been able to put in is 14.5 or so when my gas gauge shows dead empty and my trip computer shows a range of 0 miles to go. It doesnt make sense to me.... Im not complaining just wondering, thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: how many mpgs you guys getting??? Gas gauge messed up???

You might want to change the CTS, or just look at basic tune up things. I get about 300-400 per tank, depending on where I'm driving.

What is the computer telling you? Chances are it's right. most of my fills up are around 15g +/-.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

i dont mean to be dumb but whats a CTS? Also what are you thinking for the basic tuneup new plugs, air filters...? Is it possible i have a boost leak and thats eating my gas mileage? Maybe I need new DV's or TBB?

My computer is telling me that im getting about 17 mpg. And there have been two 40 minute each way highway trips in there. i havent been hard on the car at all ive been babying it i just got it!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

240 sounds right to me

Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: physqoparty
i dont mean to be dumb but whats a CTS? Also what are you thinking for the basic tuneup new plugs, air filters...? Is it possible i have a boost leak and thats eating my gas mileage? Maybe I need new DV's or TBB?

My computer is telling me that im getting about 17 mpg. And there have been two 40 minute each way highway trips in there. i havent been hard on the car at all ive been babying it i just got it!
Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS), it tells the ECU what temp the engine is at, so if it's bad, you dump more fuel.

Yup, you can have a boost leak, but you should check that on your own, it's always a given, if there is any problem with the S4, check them first.

17mpg is low, that's like you are in boost a lot.

Did you ever check it for any stored codes?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

Interesting about the CTS.. temp seems to be normal does that mean its OK?. Im leaning twords boost leak the TBB looks fine but i dont know about the DV's. I know they are the original ones so maybe they are starting to leak. Is there anyway to tell whats worng without a computer? i dont have a vag com yet so i cant check any codes and i cant afford to bring it to audi at $115 an hour to have them take their sweet time figuring this out

Old 08-15-2007, 01:19 AM
3rd Gear

It is separate from the dash gauge. The engine should be at the right temp, the sensor might not be reporting the right temp to the ECU. That causes you to run rich.

You can test the DV's with a vacuum pump. You need to remove the TBB & check it, rips only show up under boost, but look fine in the car.

Most auto part store can check codes for you, but it just be generic codes.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

Even though you may technically have 2 gallons left, it is probably a good thing to warn the driver to fill up.

The last thing you want is to clog up your fuel lines, even with the filter in the way, you could do a bit of damage to your injectors etc while siphoning up dust from the fuel tank.