S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Holy Sh!t radio fix! (Miracle?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Default Holy **** radio fix! (Miracle?)

Ok I know nothing about our b5's bose symphony radio and 2 days ago I finished working on my car, I did a crap load of stuff, timing belt, piggies, twin 1 exhaust, new samcohoses everywhere, some seals, lightweight flywheel and rs4 clutch again, valve cover gasket, basically everything except the ko4's (which are laying up in my room.) Anyways I had the battery disconnected while workingand did so without first getting the radiocode (figured I would do it later, which was now 2 days later) so I go to pull out the radio by looking on theebahn program and think crap I need those four finger ring things to stick in there, or do I???? So I go into the garage and find some tin, snip it up into four 2 1/2 long pieces that I forced/slid into the slots where the radio removal tools would go thinking all I need to do is depress some type of clips locking the radio in; anyways I have them slid in there and pull on the cassette hole to no avail. I take them out all except the top left piece of tin (which was a bit skinnier and longer than the other three) so I push it in further and WHAM the radio comes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is NO KEY even in the ignition!!! I almost wet myself with joy!

How is this possible? Did I even need to get the code after straight up disconnecting the battery, cause once the car was running I never even tried to turn on the radio cause I figured it wouldn't work because the instructions on ebahn say get the radio code before even doing any of the above mentioned work!! Or am I an idiot and didn't need to pull the radio out, get the code and it would've worked by just simply pushing the power button on?[&:]I don't even know how to feel.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:00 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil
Default RE: Holy **** radio fix! (Miracle?)

Thats freakin awesome. I'll have to remember that and you can call Audi for your radio code. then right it down and remember it.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

That is just to weird! Maybe you shorted it to work? YOU REALLY need the code if you disconnect it. You need to bring the car into the Dealer & pay them to get the code if you don't have it.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM

That's really strange, but good.When I had my engine out to do the turbos I had the battery disconnected and the ecu out and I didn't need to put in the code after the reinstall. I thought that was strange also.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

Some of the newer coded radios "recognize" the car they are in, so you won't need a code unless you actually take the radio out of the car. I see this alot with the newer BMWs and Mercedes, makes sense that Audi would do it too. As for the radio coming on without the key in the ignition, they do that. After you turn the car off, and the radio turns off, you just have to push the power button on the radio and it will turn on and work for 1 hour, no more. This info is in your owners manual.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 PM

hmm just as suprised as me haha oh well I got lucky thanks for confirming that haha, nowI wonder if I shove my lucky piece of tin into the ecu if it will reprogram the car to be able to beat porsche's hahaha

Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

According to the radio manual for my Bose 05 model, the code only has to be entered once to pair it to the car. After that, it knows if it is in the proper car. Very intelligent design...as Audi says!