S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Help on Stages for S4 B5

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Help on Stages for S4 B5

I drive a b5 s4 laser red, with 140k miles. and im pretty sure my turbos are blown, actually im positive. lost lots of power and i can hear the "dentist drill" sound. What a bummer, i know. but i finally landed a steady job where i can start modifying my car, i just dont know what to modify.. and if i should replace my turbos before i start doing modifies or replace turbos last since they are already blown? i want to gain power and also handling. Where should i start? I am a noob when it comes to cars so i would have a shop do all the modifications, but i would just like to hear from someone else then a dealership on what steps to take i suppose. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:37 AM
2nd Gear

are you leaking any oil from the turbos? take off the skid plate and see if there is ridiculous amounts of oil.

youre gonna want to replace those turbos before you start modifying. are you looking to upgrade turbos or stay stock?

.....this is gonna get expensive....

Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

definitely going to get expensive if you are having a shop do all your mods. You might as well upgrade your turbos to at least K04...no sense in putting in K03s now and then upgrading the turbos down the road 'cause you want more power(just a waste of labor $$)
While doing the turbos I would also get an upgraded clutch installed and have the Flywheel resurfaced or replaced if needed. Again doing this while they are doing the turbos is going to save you labor $$. After you shell out the $$ for new Turbos, Clutch, Flywheel and install look at your budget and see what you got left....then you can decide what to do next 'cause it's not going to be cheap.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

So I gotta replace my turbos before anything? And Yes i am leaking oil, and I can also sometimes smell it coming through my vents, which totally blows! And I would get k04s, no way I'd stay with k03s. So do my turbos, clutch, and flywheel at the same time? What's a good turbo kit I should look into? And clutch? And flywheel? I have a feeling Ima be broke ha good thing I have no bills, that's the reason I want to start fixing my car.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear

frankenturbos or k04's will be your cheapest route. what Jo has said is a good start.

FrankenTurbo | F4 Hybrid Bi-Turbos for Audi 2.7T

https://vastperformance.com/index.ph...gers-2-7t.html

you will also need a tune, inlets to fit the turbos, fueling(depending on how much power you want), diverter valves and replacement oem parts for all the 10+ year old stuff thats gonna need updating/replacing.

when was the last time you did the timing belt and accessories? are you up to date with maintenance?

timing belt kit:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...lt_Kit/ES7439/

some good places to help with the build:
vastperformance.com
o34motorsports.com
ecstuning.com -(replacement parts only do not buy upgrades here...maybe just oem dv's)
jhmmotorsports.com

Last edited by FonzoB5S4; 10-28-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

man, your about to get into a can of money, erp.. i mean, worms. id almost bet money that your turbos are blown, but i bet your valve covers and cam adjuster seals are leaking too.. you got a long road ahead of you, with stage 3 upgrades, you have to do a lot of mounts and stuff as well. hopefully you have lots of patience and money!!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Paying for labor and parts, plan on $15,000 for a full stage 3. Don't do it until your timing service and all driveline fluids are changed, axles/wheelbearings verified ok or fixed, and brakes checked. As stated, this is going to be very expensive. Typical labor cost for a turbo replacement is $2500 since the engine has to come out, so plan on that on top of the cost of turbos, inlet pipes, and anything else.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

As others have said in this thread, plan on a lot of upgrades. You'll need an upgraded clutch & resurface the flywheel plus k04 inlet pipes & a turbo hardware & gaskets. It's a good time to do rs4 motor mounts, an upgraded snub mount, timing belt/water pump as well. Fueling and the stage 3 tune doesn't have to be done right away, but you will need to do that as well. Upgraded intercoolers or FMIC will make a big difference too.

Of course it will be expensive & labor intensive, but you can do this on a budget if you are willing to take the time and get the right parts. I did mine on a budget with some slightly used parts (turbos, vast stage 3 fueling/ecu) and had SSP do my install. Not sure if they are around anymore, but they did a good job and were cheap. I have heard of others having issues with them though. My total stage 3 upgrade cost me around 6 to 7 grand and it is daily driven with issues.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

ssp is still around and still do excellent work. just impossible to get them on the phone these days. i'd also go with 034 or stern for the mounts. i got stern all the way around.

6 o 7 grand is a very good price for a stage 3 build.

*sikxer, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you get that phatbox for? i've been looking for one.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

Good to know SSP is still around. Greg is a good guy, just very busy!
btw, the Phatbox came with the car when I got it. I'll keep an eye out on the zine and vortex for ya.. Once and a while I see one for sale.

Quick Reply: Help on Stages for S4 B5