S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Help required with first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Default Help required with first Audi

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy my first Audi and have seen an A4 2.7 tdi SLINE with 18,000 miles on a 56 plate. This will be the first top end car that I have bought and I really dont know that much about these sort of cars.

Can you please pass on your thoughts on this car, what its like performance wise, fuel economy, any gremlins that the car may have and what to look out for when looking at it. Also what should I be looking to pay for it, I have been advised that it looks well kept, full service history (not sure if all Audi though).

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Ps also anything you think may be relevant as well would also be good!

I look forward to some replies before I go on Sunday for a look at what will hopefully be my first Audi.

Thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
3rd Gear

holy crap. What kind of post is this? Seriously dude thats pretty confusing. I dont even know what a 56 plate is! No problem though, welcome to the forums!

First a couple things just to get rid of some confusion...

TDI means diesel which the biturbo s4 with a 2.7t certainly is not. S-line is just a premium/sports package with seats and a steering wheel that was an option on just about every audi. Not the same as an S4, S5, S6, S8, or TT-S, these are seperate models designed to be faster and sportier

So i can tell you are looking at an audi on sunday, im not sure what kind, or what year. The 2.7t (perhaps T for turbo not TDI?) is in the S4 which is different from an S-line A4.

If indeed you have found a 2000-2002 B5 S4 with a 2.7 twin turbo that has ONLY 18,000 miles you are one lucky man. Your going to pay a big premium for the miles though. B5 S4's can be had for under $10,000 with over 100k and as high as $20,000 for clean, low miles, stage 3 cars. The economy isnt good for selling but it sure is good for buying!

B5 S4's are expensive to maintain, turbos blow much faster at anything above stock boost, suspension binds itself to death, boost leaks are common and suck, some people leak oil at higher milage, bla bla bla.

If you take care of it right youll love it to death, if you cant afford to take care of it and dig yourself into a hole, and youll hate it then sell it.

If your talking about any other car but a B5 S4 then i have no idea whats going on.

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 02-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
1st Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by SourDieselS4
holy crap. What kind of post is this? Seriously dude thats pretty confusing. I dont even know what a 56 plate is! No problem though, welcome to the forums!

First a couple things just to get rid of some confusion...

TDI means diesel which the biturbo s4 with a 2.7t certainly is not. S-line is just a premium/sports package with seats and a steering wheel that was an option on just about every audi. Not the same as an S4, S5, S6, S8, or TT-S, these are seperate models designed to be faster and sportier

So i can tell you are looking at an audi on sunday, im not sure what kind, or what year. The 2.7t (perhaps T for turbo not TDI?) is in the S4 which is different from an S-line A4.

If indeed you have found a 2000-2002 B5 S4 with a 2.7 twin turbo that has ONLY 18,000 miles you are one lucky man. Your going to pay a big premium for the miles though. B5 S4's can be had for under $10,000 with over 100k and as high as $20,000 for clean, low miles, stage 3 cars. The economy isnt good for selling but it sure is good for buying!

B5 S4's are expensive to maintain, turbos blow much faster at anything above stock boost, suspension binds itself to death, boost leaks are common and suck, some people leak oil at higher milage, bla bla bla.

If you take care of it right youll love it to death, if you cant afford to take care of it and dig yourself into a hole, and youll hate it then sell it.

If your talking about any other car but a B5 S4 then i have no idea whats going on.
well said, I myself learnt a little bit from that.
But to add to the confusion, if allowed.
I will like to know if u guys wud advice someone to buy a modded stage 3 or more Audi s4 VS a stock s4.
In other words will it be better if i bought one that was seriouly Modded vs a stock one and then modded it myself. i was just thinking it might be cheaper to buy one that was already modded ,....Pls Advice

Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 PM

it would be cheaper to buy modded since the previous owner had to fork the cash for the stg 3 kit. however the stg 3 wears down the car faster making for costly repairs of the car wasnt taken care of or just pushed all the time. its a tough call

Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM
1st Gear
Talking

Thanks, Makes sense............. But i guess cheaper is Better.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 PM
3rd Gear

it all depends who built the car. If the PO took a 120k S4 and threw an OTS turbo kit on it without doing any maintance YOUR the one whose going to deal with it and its going to be alot more expensive.

Conversely you can find well sorted stage 3 cars that have allready had alot of the maintance done. Theres alot of things that fall into a "because we should" category when your modding this car to stage 3 and racking up the miles. Things like cam seals, VCG, head gasket, the whole front suspension around 100k, flakey sensors etc. Dont be turned off by buying a prebuilt stage 3, you get to benefit from the time and money someone else put into the car.

I would reccomend enthusiast cars you can find on the classifieds on www.audizine.com and www.audiworld.com , maybe some here but we dont get much traffic in comparison to those other 2. Generally they are taken care of better than most people would

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 02-12-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

the 56 plate means its a 2006 and it was registered in the seconds part of 06. The tdi audi engines are amazing so you shouldn't have problems with that. Just check to see if they have an paperwork on maintenance.