S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

gt28rs or k04???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigern45
i do have a quick question.. was going to get some headers for my build.. talked to some people and they have said that ported manifolds make for a faster exhaust velocity then headers do.. so.. what have you found? i can port my own manifolds and be ready to go.. but id rather know which actually performs better.. i dont want to not spend, i want the best outcome for me not building my engine..
You'll want to be careful porting your stock exhaust manis. They're basically like a tublar/log manifold inside of that outer skin, so the walls aren't terribly thick (it's not a big one piece casting and that whole section from the inside to the outside can't be bored out however you want.) I personally wouldn't deal with porting the exhaust mani, and lots of people have made big power with the stock manis (a Tial car did 600+whp.)

Originally Posted by gkb
Hmm i'm kind of lost as to the overall power of the ko4.

This is what i was thinking:

2004 Audi a6 2.7 s-line.

265 Hp Stock
Giac Chip = 70hp
CAI = 6-8hp
Headers = 8-10hp
High Flow Cat = 3hp
Cat Back Exhaust = 8-10hp

That would give me 365hp total (350hp(5 speed tip) if audi/hoffman can't find me a 6 speed, then i'll of course have to add a Giac or Apr Tip Chip). So i'm confused, if i'll be getting around 365hp shouldn't the KO4 be able to easily push me over 500hp?
Yeah, like was already said, dyno numbers are just numbers that should really only be compared to the same car on the same dyno, in relatively the same conditions. Also like was said, those claimed numbers are either chp or bhp, not whp like everyone else is talking about. With all of the smaller stuff like an intake, headers and high flow cat it's hard to put specific numbers on that stuff (especially when our stock intake works so well.) Mostly people have numbers for the different stages (1, 2 and 2+ which is a chip, catback, and downpipes respectively.) Don't worry too much about the specifics of the numbers, but know that those 3 mods will net you the most gains for your money.

Originally Posted by bigern45
why would you do that.. less weight? better performance? both?
I've heard of a couple of people that have had issues with the APR bipipe. Some say that they had pinhole sized leaks from the castings and some others had issues where the bipipe meets up with the TB I believe. Tons of others have had no issues. As far as the GENX or now ARD bipipes, they're the biggest you can fit in there (2.25" I believe) and they're just a uniform tube. The stock, RS4 and apr bipipe all change cross-sectional area and shape multiple times throughout their length.

As far as breaking rods, I'd go with a rather conservative tune if I were you and were worried about the engine. It doesn't really seem like you're worried about if/when it goes, so no stress there I guess. People have broken/bent rods with around 500whp (and even less) before, also there's people who are successfully running a little more, so you just need to calculate what you're willing to risk. Axles can break, but I don't don't think you'll need to worry about that at RS6 power levels, and I bet the rods go before the axles.

I personally wouldn't build the heads with RS6's because they'll be perfectly fine with a 7200-7500RPM rev limiter. I built mine because I had to rebuild them anyways because the motor I bought had some bent valves. You can throw rods in and leave everything else stock and go for broke with maxing out the RS6's, it doesn't require built heads etc. And you definitely don't need to replace pistons, unless you want to go bigger displacement (or lower compression ratio and don't want to do a headgasket spacer.)

Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Banned

Audi&VW
4340 EN24 Forged H-Beam Connecting Rods