S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Going into the B5 S4....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Going into the B5 S4....

So heres the story. Had a B5 A4, liked it alot, then sold it for a B6 S4. LOVE IT! but has serious issues with the flywheel and something else and is just not reliable. So I'm going to a B5 S4. Now I know millions ask this question, what should I look out for. Ive been in the scene for almost 2 years now so I know some of the basics like timing belt, water pump, turbo sludge, turbo issues, vaccum leaks and such but that was with my A4. This is a slightly different car with te twin T V6 and I wanted some personal info on issues/ repairs that have happened to quite a few people. I wanna know what to look out for and what are things that if not, should be changed imediatley. Thanks alot guys ahead of time.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

So Ive read around and saw that the 01.5 -02 are the best years due to better turbos, better tubing and something else.Does everyone agree with this?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear

well, if reliability was an issue, not sure this is the car to go with. expensive maintenance, many things break/wear out... but.. if you are getting one, im hoping its not to just drive it in stock form.. is it? usually, when people buy these things, they are shooting for one goal. stage 3 power or more. if that is your goal, then go with the 2000 year model. no esp. you're gonna need a new trans soon anyways, and its pretty much the same car with less initial costs. so when you get a trans rebuild kit or new tranny, its gonna have all of the updated shift collars and such that come in the later year B5 S4's..

IMO..