S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Few questions for you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Few questions for you guys.

So.. Im new here. I have been searching the site and I cant seem to find direct answers to my questions.. backround on the car. I just bought a 2001 Audi S4 with 137K miles. Now, first question.. How to tell if I have a 2001 or a 2001.5... I was reading that the 2001.5 will have ESP AND the brushed aluminum mirrors?? however My mirrors are painted and I have ESP.. My badges are the big red square with the AUDI symbol and then two silver lines next to it with S4 on them..

second question.. so far I have been able to tell that most of the stock turbos fail before 100K miles.. some last longer. I am at 137K and my turbos sound absolutely amazing. car pulls VERY strong. I was told that the stock turbos you cant really hear unless under a bridge or next to a wall.. well I can hear mine spooling up kinda like a little whistle... not like the failing annoyoing sound, but louder than what was described to me for stock turbos or stock cars.. so how can I tell if I am Chipped? I was told that being chipped will make them more noticable. I know I have a 3' Miltek catback exhaust, but I am nto sure about the downpipes.. I think they look stock, but then again the piping is the same diameter as my 3' exhaust...

sorry for the long post, I am just confused. I am new to Audi. but to me, this car at 137K miles is pulling really hard and I would assume the turbos would either be bad by now or replaced already, and I dont know how to tell if they have been replaced or if they have been replaced with K04's... any help would be awesome.

David

Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Few questions for you guys.

1. 2001.5 has the NEW s4 badge.. it should be on the back of the car and on the instrument cluster. (i have a .5 and you can see the emblem in my sig on my car)
I don't think the aluminum mirrors have anything to do with the .5 models.. i have aftermarket ones from a rs4 and i believe only the b5 rs4s had them.
if you have the emblem your talking about you have the 2001 NOT .5
<- 2001.5 emblem
2. On a stock s4 you will barely hear the turbos spool but if you have an exhaust and DPs then you will here it actually very loud. I have AWE twin1 and piggies (catless) and i can hear my turbos spool in almost every gear. There is no real way to check if your chipped or not unless you have a boost gauge.

I doubt you can see if the turbos have been replaced they are small and under the car in the worst place to really look at them.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

^^ thanks for the info.. so then I guess the ESP means nothing as far as the .5 goes... I will be buying a boost gauge soon so I can find out if I need to spend 600 bucks or not lol.. I can definately hear the turbos spool up during normal driving without being next to a wall or under a bridge, but that may just be the miltek exhaust. we will see. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

actually, the badge changed part way thru MY 01, so it could be either, early or late production. and the chrome mirrors were sport package option in 01+. the brushed aluminum are RS4 mirrors, or reps.

turbo spool is all what you are use to. if you have never had a turbo car, the S4 will sound loud. if you have had them before, like WRX, EVO, Eclipse, or other cheaper car, they will seem super quiet, even tho there are 2 of them. Dont fret over the Turbos...there is no predicting, and its not worth losing sleep over, when they go, they go.

pull the ecu, it has been opened or has a sticker on it, its chipped.

lastly and most importantly.............you don't actually have this car until we all see it

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue_S4

actually, the badge changed part way thru MY 01, so it could be either, early or late production. and the chrome mirrors were sport package option in 01+. the brushed aluminum are RS4 mirrors, or reps.

turbo spool is all what you are use to. if you have never had a turbo car, the S4 will sound loud. if you have had them before, like WRX, EVO, Eclipse, or other cheaper car, they will seem super quiet, even tho there are 2 of them. Dont fret over the Turbos...there is no predicting, and its not worth losing sleep over, when they go, they go.

pull the ecu, it has been opened or has a sticker on it, its chipped.

lastly and most importantly.............you don't actually have this car until we all see it

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
lol I will try to get pics asap.. I took it to the track last night to see what she would do.. well with me being a newbie on AWD I could only muster a 2.0 60' dont flame lol but I did run a 13.9 @ 100 mph... what are these supposed to do stock? I was told trapping 93-94 and if thats true would the miltek 3' catback gain me 6 mph on the trap with a 140K mile stock clutch car???

Old 06-21-2008, 03:45 PM

you have to be chipped if your traping with a 100+. Stock their trapping in the high 90'S. But thats a good time for your first time to track with it. Keep going to get that time faster because their is some improvement in that time that you can do. keep up the good work, get downpipes or go piggy to get some power out of her.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

^thanks! I am really hoping to get that 60' down to at least a 1.7 but I really need to get a new clutch first I think. I think with a good 1.7 60' I should be around a 13.6 or 13.7 I would hope...

Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear

yeah go here for some DIY www.audidiy.com Do the darintake it helps a ton and also get some pipes. I ran a 12.8 with 100 oct on k03 when I still had them. I am going to the track soon and hopeing to get low 12's maybe 11's , cant wait.