S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Few questions about turbo upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Few questions about turbo upgrade...

Hello, I just purchased a pair of ABT ko3/ko4 hybrids and i have a few questions...

Its a 2000 S4 manual tranny, giac x+ chip.
My goal would be to put down somewhere around 350-400awhp. Ofcourse more would be nice

With the turbos i received a Stage5 A-box ABT chip which was tuned for the turbos, rs4 injectors, rs4 mafs and airbox.

1st question is do i keep the giac chip or do i switch it to the abt?
2nd, if i were to get slightly larger injectors like 450cc would i be able to get whichever chip i decide on reprogrammed for it?
3rd, for now i plan on keeping the stock mafs and airbox will that be ok?
4th, I originally planned on doing a k04 swap so i have a perfectly fine rebuilt ko4-25 (its so hard to find the ko4-26 for a good price!) What if i went with one hybrid and one ko4?

For the time being i am hoping that i can put the turbos on, add bigger injectors, get the chip reprogrammed and im good to go. Obviously i will be upgrading things like intercoolers, downpipes, diverter valves, clutch etc later on. Im trying not to spend a whole lot of $$ on it, been there done that.

Im obviously new to the audi tuning world but have done turbo upgrades on a 3000gt vr4, DSM's, rx7 and hondas and this seems like a whole differant ballgame. So help, input and opinions are appreciated.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Few questions about turbo upgrade...

You will not get 350whp from a K03 hybrid, sorry, they just do not flow enough. Getting big HP from a Audi is just expensive, there is not way around it. 350whp is from a sorted out K04 car. More then that is a very well sorted K04 or K04 hybrid car.

You can't throw injectors or change the MAF unless you get the programing for it. No OTS (off the shelf) chip will work for you, especially if you plan on changing the injectors & MAF. You are kind of stuck with what you got, RS4 parts are really good, & I believe the RS4 injectors are bigger then 450cc.

Read the FAQ STICKY & DO A SEARCH. There is a lot of good info out there.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

i agree with 2k, that type of horsepower out of k03 hybrids isnt going to happen, and please, whatever you do, dont put in two different types of turbos, u might as well just shoot urself in the head and get it over with with all the issues that something like that would bring along, i dont even think that it would be possible. Good luck tho on the build, and yea its def more involved than most turbo swaps.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

oh, and one last thing that i forgot, upgrading those dv's are one of the first things that you do, in fact, it should have been done when the chip was first put in.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info guys. The person i bought it off of told me "On the dyno on 91 octane they put down 360 hp / 350 torque with intercooling and dp's...98 octane these turbo's did 395 hp / 380 torque." Altough i did not see any proof of this.

I wish i could find more info about these turbos too, when looking at them and comparing them to ko3's and ko4's its like they jammed the ko4 wheels(exhaust and compressor) into a ko3 housing. But when looking at the ko4 there is no way you can fit it into the ko3 unless the ko4 exhaust housing bolts directly to the ko3 cold side and then trimmed the compressor wheel about 1/8th of an inch or less to make it fit. I dont see any evidence of making the housing bigger or clipping of the wheel. But anyway...

Yea i need to get diverter valves! I thought the RS4 injectors were 381cc

I was also told that all i need is rs4 injectors, airbox and maf and the chip that came with it and im good to go. But i cant see that the airbox makes a big differance and kind of sort of understand the MAS having to be there but at the same time not. RS4 injectors are more than what i paid for the turbos and im trying to avoid that. Any alternative options for getting injectors?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 AM
2nd Gear

If you want some really high AWHP get some K09s. They're hybrids of the K04s they put in the RS6. Its been done to a B5 S4 and the thing was just bad... really bad!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: cred05On the dyno on 91 octane they put down 360 hp / 350 torque with intercooling and dp's...[/size][/font]

I wish i could find more info about these turbos too, when looking at them and comparing them to ko3's and ko4's its like they jammed the ko4 wheels(exhaust and compressor) into a ko3 housing. But when looking at the ko4 there is no way you can fit it into the ko3 unless the ko4 exhaust housing bolts directly to the ko3 cold side and then trimmed the compressor wheel about 1/8th of an inch or less to make it fit. I dont see any evidence of making the housing bigger or clipping of the wheel. But anyway...

Yea i need to get diverter valves! I thought the RS4 injectors were 381cc

I was also told that all i need is rs4 injectors, airbox and maf and the chip that came with it and im good to go. But i cant see that the airbox makes a big differance and kind of sort of understand the MAS having to be there but at the same time not. RS4 injectors are more than what i paid for the turbos and im trying to avoid that. Any alternative options for getting injectors?
[/size]
I bet the numbers are crank HP, not WHEEL hp. 360 crank is about what they should be at. My car with K03's is doing about 275whp on a Mustang Dyno.

K03's are super small, I can't really see them putting in any K04 parts unless they use the housing also.

If the ECU was made for the RS4 MAf & injectors, then that is what you HAVE to use. It's just the way it goes. You only need the TOP of the airbox, as the RS4 MAF is larger, & will not fit in the stock airbox top.

Really, as I said, there is NO cheap way to get around this. If you got a ECU that needs, part X, & Z, you will NEED part X & Z.

If you just want some soild HP, sell what you have, purchase some plain K04's with the inlet pipes $2600 & get the GIAC X chip with the 5bar FPR & you will have over 300whp!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 AM
1st Gear

ya whp and hp two completely different #'s

the hybrids are ok but you wil never make real ko4 power unless you have ko4's ......think about this for a second why would you take a turbo that is so prone to fail ram a bigger wheel in it and think it is going to be more relyable.

I would go the route 2K S4 suggested. that is the same thing I am doing I already bought a set of ko4's off a groupe buy over a year ago. just waiting untill my ko3's have had enough and all I'm going to do is swap the turbos, inlets and get the fueling kit from vast. same X chip but 400whp ....that's my goal but deffinitly well over 300WHP ............ then move on to the gt kit

Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

I know k03's dont make too much power but i thought there was one or two fellows on audiworld that had totaly rebuilt and polished K03's and they were throwing down some really good 1/4mile times and fats times. I never heard of their HP but i wanna say i saw something about one running low 12's like 12.2 or somehting. Idk thats just me but i can imagine how reliable the car is.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

My hybrids are definately in machined k03 housings and have larger than k04 compressor wheels, not sure if you could port the exhaust side out enough to fit a k04 hot wheel in it or not, but running my car with my friends k04 car I pull on him through 1st and 2nd and then after that we are even until 5th and he catches back up and 6th will pass me. Not sure on what the hp numbers are but it more than enough for a street/daily driver. Maybe not up to a full custom tune k04 car but saved a ton of cash. I've also never heard of ABT doing hybrid turbos but if you got a great deal on them and can do the labor yourself, you can make way more power than stock and have cash for other mods.

Quick Reply: Few questions about turbo upgrade...