S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

esp dictating throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

haha yea your braver than i am, i still don't really know the limits yet, how much ya actually sliding around corners ?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear

iv been driving the car pretty agressively for a couple years, and also just started autocrossing which helps alot. I have new springs and shocks and 235/40 high performance summer tires so iv got loads of grip most of the time. When the tires were new and it was summer i really couldnt break traction much in a straight line, but now that they are worn to nothing and its 20* i certainly can. (snow tires soon)

Either way if you try to launch with ESP on you will get immediate throttle cut and the car will just bog down.

Typically S4's tend to understeer in corners (car dosnt respong to steering input). Partially because there nose heavy and AWD, but audi also wanted a little understeer because understeer is safer than oversteer. When ESP is on and the car senses that it isnt going in the path the steering angle dictates(understeer usually on this car) it will apply the brakes through the ABS to certain wheels to correct the path, or in extreme cases cut the throttle also.

When its dry and i go into a sharp turn in say 2nd gear at 4000rpm the car will understeer and start to slide out a little bit, with ESP on i get throttle cut, ABS corrects the path and im slowed way down. When i do the same thing with ESP off and im starting to understeer out i can get on the throttle hard and early and stay WOT right in the powerband. The car will slide more extermely, but it eventually has enough grip to pull itself out so i dont go off the road.

When its wet its a different story, if you go into a corner too fast you will probably slide straight out the other side of the corner and off the road. However from a stop making a 90* turn i can induce massive oversteer and kick the back way out which is awsome fun. Same story in a wet open parking lot, donuts become alot easier.

I wouldnt reccomend trying this out on public roads though.

Snow traction in quattro is just amazing.

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 11-20-2008 at 06:12 PM.