S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

esp dictating throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM
1st Gear
Default esp dictating throttle response

So last night while browsing another audi forum I came across a thread where someone was claiming that turning esp off would increase throttle response and possibly make the car accelerate faster. I turned into a 50 50 argument, some people said it did nothing others said they noticed it any ideas about this?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I saw a thread like that on AZ and last night for the fun of it i turned it off and....the *** dyno said it felt peppier, but the 3/4 throttle thing did to. I think i went into it with the preconceived notion that it would feel quicker...but who knows

Old 11-17-2008, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

yea we were probably reading the same thing, and again i turned it off and throttled it in second gear around a turn i take on my way home every day and it seemed to feel quite a bit more aggressive but i dunno if that was just because i thought it would do that, anyone got a real answer to this?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

i turned off esp the other night in the rain and my car ran 1st gear to redline at 3/4 throttle, where with ESP on it would shift much earlier. I don't know if the throttle response is any different, but my car seemed to run 1st gear MUCH longer than normal for any given amount of throttle.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear

ESP works by reducing throttle angle... If i go WOT in 1st or corner hard i experience throttle cut, if i turn it off i dont get throttle cut and the car is faster. But thats only because in those cases im on, or passing, the limit of grip. On a highway when your rolling i dont think it would have any effect. At least i havent noticed any.

Turning off ESP isnt going to increase throttle response, just prevent throttle cut when you lose traction

Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM

FYI here's a little more info for everyone while we're on the subject.

This is ESP explained...
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/t...n_program.html

And this is ASR explained (this is how ESP cuts throttle)
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/t...rol__ASR_.html

Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

well whats strange is there is this turn right before my street i live on that runs perpendicular to the road every now and then for fun i gas it in 2nd gear around the turn and go up the road, the other day for the hell of it i turned esp off and did what i normally did and it felt a hell of a lot faster, according to the articles it only cuts throttle when the light starts flashing? But it usually doesn't flash when i do it with esp on, so whats the deal?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

ESP is still acting through the ABS system without the light flashing. Turning off the button turns off the nanny. Its not a difficult concept. Its an on/off switch. when its on it is ON whrn it is off its OFF

Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

so do you turn it off at all?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah I turn it off all the time.
When i autocross its off.
When i launch i turn it off.
When i corner hard i turn it off.
Whenever i know i dont want ABS or throttle cut i turn it off.

Maybe im just a hooligan who likes to go around spinning my tires and sliding around corners.

Quick Reply: esp dictating throttle response