S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

engine difference? tip vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear
Default engine difference? tip vs manual

Let me give you a little background.

I called to talk to APR in regards to their stage III kit for 2000-2002 S4's for a project of mine. I have not bought the motor or tranny, but I was leaning towards picking up a tip S4 as for I could find a better deal and most likely less ragged out. My original thoughts were to get the motor and tip and then eventually pick up a manual tranny if needed. The guy at APR basically blew me off with the we don't deal with tip's have a nice day. So before getting off the phone I asked the question of why are the upgrade packages slated as for 6 speeds only and he quickly blirted that the motors are different. The motors are different?!?

This is news to me, I am a newbie to the audi world, but as far asI knew the motors were the same, just the trannies are different. Needless I looked on ETKA and the blocks are in fact different part numbers for tip and manual.

The question is, what are the differences in the blocks? transmission mounts?

Thanks,

Shawn

Old 06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: engine difference? tip vs manual

with 24+ visits I was hoping that someone would at least say "yeah, their different", or "what are you smoking", or "holy sh3eoot, I didn't know that either"...

Something guys, why the different part numbers for TIP blocks and MANUAL blocks? What is the difference?

Thanks,

Shawn

Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

motors are the same.. 99% sure.. also APR does not deal with TIPs... my indy mechanic is APR sponsored and they make no software for TIP, you have to go GIAC or REVO..

dont believe everything people tell you

Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 AM
2nd Gear

APR is retarded because they think a stage III tip can't exist. They might say they're kit wont fit on the tip... but it will. For a manual you upgrade the clutch/flywheel and for an automatic you just have to built the tranny. When you build it, you just replace the steels and clutches with strong ones and a harder shift kit. I've heard the tip is better geared for the 1/4 mile so if you plan on making some a lot passes a tip wouldn't be a bad idea, even though a 6-speed is just as good. I got the same reaction when I first talked to APR

Old 06-18-2007, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, sort of what I figured with APR, might look into an AWE stage III anyways. 2bennett.com sells a bulletproof race track proven tip, a bit pricy though...

Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: shawncumberland
The guy at APR basically blew me off with the we don't deal with tip's have a nice day.

Gess thats wat APR have turned into lately, givus u money then **** off![:@]

F**K APR!

There are no diff b/w tip & 6spd motors, just the vaccum and PCV system is a tad diff, but no biggy

Go strait to GIAC get the Stage III kitand u will be very happy - at least they have got software for the TIP

Dnt know wat APR are thinking not catering for the TIP market? as u can make the TIP S4 pretty fast down the quarter mile with a trans brake

Wot bout all those guys who have TIP A6 and Allroads and would like a more agressive program for the tranny? GIAC!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

The engines are the same, minus the ECU (the big problem) & a couple of emissions things (secondary air pump).

Back in the day, every one thought the TIP was weak & could not handle the HP of STGIII, now it seams, the 6sp are the ones that break.

There are some K04 TIP code out there. GIAC, VAST, & ASP all make K04 code for the TIP.