S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Drone Noise From Rear -- Take a Listen..

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Drone Noise From Rear -- Take a Listen..

Recently within the past few days I have been hearing this strange "droney" noise that sounds like its from the rear passenger side. It sounds as if it is gear resonance or something maybe from the rear differential? Could something like that just appear over night? I have hit a few painful potholes in these winter months but dont recall hearing the noise right after.

Here is a clip of the sound from the back seat while driving about 60 on the highway. Towards the end is when I slow down on the off-ramp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtJRBzWnDXo

Any comments would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Just an update - the noise was my wheel bearing (fortunately). That clip above 'aint nothin compared to how loud it got towards the end. Replaced it this past weekend now its smooth as butter

Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

My 01 S4 just started making a droning noise in the rear the other day starting at speeds of 20 mph. Haven't had a chance to get it checked out yet. I know it needs new tires soon but I'm hoping its just a bearing as well.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Video has been removed...?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Yea its most likely your bearing, but if you need tires too you should replace them before you do the bearing because a bad tire could make the sound of a bad bearing so the bearing could be okay

After replacing the rear bearing on mine I started hearing a 'thumping' sound coming from my front wheel at low speeds and I think it may be my front wheel bearing too but now as I think more it could be the tire... I cant stand having a noisey car!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Wheel bearing failures are so common. I'm down to about $75 per bearing for the parts and press and :40 of labor total. Just did my right rear and reduced the noise level inside the car substantially but now it's obvious the right front is going too. Parts are on the way, and this will mark #6 for me. My advice is don't be intimidated by the thought of changing it, just get in there and do it before you drive yourself nuts with the noise for another day.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

My brother is the manager of a shop luckily so I get to use it all the time. When I replaced my rear bearing his one mechanic helped me get it out without a press. He knocked out the inner race and ***** of the bearing then torched out two grooves on opposite sides of the outer race in the housing. He then heated up the bearing housing with the torch then hammered out the outer race with a chisel on the grooves. We then put the new bearing in the freezer for a half hour then it dropped right in the hot housing. Thats one way to do it if you dont have a press, but I was a little sad to see the black paint burn off the housing..
I've recently been hearing a thumping noise at low speeds which made me think the front bearing was going too, but it turns out it was the tires, which I needed anyway. I slapped on a set of Hankooks and now its silent