S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Drive Train Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default Drive Train Problem??

Hi...I have a 04 (b6) S4, 6 speed with 6k miles. Just started to notice a problem. When driving in slow traffic, 2nd gear, on and off the gas, the car is not smooth...getting on the gas very easily/smoothly produces a little lurch forward. Getting off the gas in the same manner produces a noticable and jerky de-acceleration. Before yesterday, the car was very smooth, no noticable lurch or jerkyness when getting on or off gas in this situation. It also happens in 1st (although I tend to be in 2nd most of the time).

This same type of behavior happened to me in another car. That time it ended up being the clutch starting to go...but that clutch had about 120k miles on it. I have been driving this car pretty conservatively, except for 2 track days about a 3 weeks ago. I didn't notice any problems after the track days, and it the transmission didn't get much of a work out then, the track was all 3rd gear, except for a straight that required up shift to 4th and then one down shift back to third.

Searched the forum...found mention of a flex disc (never heard of it before) that might produce a similar sypmtom. Any chance that this could be the DriveByWire?

Anyway, figure I will take it to the dealer, but wondering if anyone has similar experience, or ideas on what this could be. I am anticipating that the dealer will say something to the effect "we don't notice any problem" and that I will have to wait until the problem gets worse/more noticable.

Thanks....

Old 06-29-2005, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Drive Train Problem??

Did some more research...this is sounding like it may be a dbw problem. Anyone have experience with reseting the dbw. Audiworld has allot of discussion on it. I'm going to try to reset mine, but there seems to be allot of controversy over this techniques effectiveness.