S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

DP ?'s / Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Default DP ?'s / Comparison

Any one have any info on the Fast Intention/ Tantrum Werks Labree Downpipes? Im between ASP and Labree. Currently have Milltek TruDual but their DP's are a bit pricey. Contemplating picking up the Fast Intentions with cats and test pipes. Any thoughts? Any one have Labree?

Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Default RE: DP ?'s / Comparison

I know someone out there has some information, dont be holdn out...

Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
3rd Gear

They use a segregated wategate that is introduced later in the exhaust stream. This is suppose to aid is turbo spool up. While the theories are true, the exaction is flawed.

1. At the mouth of the DP, it has a metal flange that separates the WG from the turbo. There have been a few cases where this metal has started to separate from all the heat. So you get little shards of hot metal going into the cats. Then the WG is no longer separated.

2. Due to space constraints, the pipes are much smaller then stock, for both the turbo & WG. This will really help the turbo spool on the low end, but will KILL it up top.

3.Back to the pipe size, since it's smaller, it will become a bottleneck, & really, really heat up, so you are keeping a lot more heat at the turbo.

That's my thoughts on it, good for low end torque, bad for high end HP, retain to much heat, and you may need to replace the separator.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:22 AM

I see, i didnt think they would actually manufacture something with a flaw such as this. I understand the overall diameter is smaller, 2.5", however the ASP also tapers down to 2.5" when it joins with the CB correct? Aside from heat transfer, is there another difference is back pressure or gas flow rates when changing the location of the taper to further down the pipe? I like the idea of the option of a test pipe that can be easily changed out, do you think it would be an issue to modify the ASP dp's to accomodate this?

Old 03-06-2007, 06:20 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Coop

I see, i didnt think they would actually manufacture something with a flaw such as this. I understand the overall diameter is smaller, 2.5", however the ASP also tapers down to 2.5" when it joins with the CB correct? Aside from heat transfer, is there another difference is back pressure or gas flow rates when changing the location of the taper to further down the pipe? I like the idea of the option of a test pipe that can be easily changed out, do you think it would be an issue to modify the ASP dp's to accomodate this?
It's smaller then 2.5 at the turbo outlet. Much smaller. It will be a restriction, & bottle neck, but will let the turbo spool faster.

Over at AW there has been a few people who found the separator, to be falling apart. They might have fixed that issue, but I don't know.

The ASP pipes are big all the way, down to where they hook up to the exhaust. There is a TON more surface area with the ASP pipes VS the Lebree.

Yes, you could cut & weld in some flanges, but the ASP cats are really high flow cats. I would be surprised if there was any real gain vs not having them. I'd bet less then 5whp.
Even a couple of K03 cars with exhaust dumps don't see any HP gain with the dumps open.