S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Does anybody know about this tranny prob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Default Does anybody know about this tranny prob?

Hi,
First off, I am a new member to the audi forums and wanted to thank whoever create this website...Fantastic! I have a 2000 audi s4 tiptronicwith 72k miles on her. She is brillant black with black 17"OZ Ultralaggera wheels. A great ride. I also have the AWE Ko4 turbo kit(w/0 the fuel kit), baileys diverter valves, rs4 intercoolers, archtuning oil cooler, evo intake,and a complete AWE exhaust. The suspension is H&R springs with bilstein shocks. I have coilovers.
Anyways, I am having a problem with my transmission. Just wondering if anyones had this problem...and what to do...
I was on the interstate the other day and i noticed the cars rmp's seem to behigher than what the car wanted to put out. I pulled over, came to a stop and something happened. I noticed when I started giving the car gas that I felt like it was in 3rd gear. Very low power with the tranny. The engine was fine, just barely creeping. To make a long story short, it seemed better the higher miles per hr I went(45mph and up). I realized I had no reverse when I needed it. I dropped it off at an audi dealer and they wanted to replace it new for $11k. My car only books for around $11. Anything I should know? I'm working on getting it to a local tech to check things out...help, please! thanks

Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Does anybody know about this tranny prob?

Forgot to mention, the car was recently flashed with the APR stage 2+...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

That sounds like a slipping transmission to me...if your RPM's are going up but your speed doesn't seem to match.

Your explanation is a little hard to understand but that's what I got out of it, I imagine your local tech will be able to tell you right away once test driving it...

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

I had a problem with my trans slipping a couple years ago, what would happen with mine is its like the engine wasnt hooking up with the trans, so if thats whats happening to you then you do have to get your tranny replaced and it is $11K for it i remember that, hope you dont have to have it replaced cause its expensive, good luck with it

Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Tell him for $11k he better suck you off and make you breakfast.

The trans brand new is like $4000 and then you just have like 4 hours labor to swap it. $11k, tell them to fugg off.

look on www.car-part.com and find a used trans with low miles for a good price, have it shipped, and have an independent shop put it in.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 PM

thanks for the info! I'll check it out...

Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 PM
1st Gear

The problem is it's tiptronic.

.... ah, just kidding.
i have a TIPtronic car also, but that has never happened to me.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:26 PM

i might just sell it...its at a local shop now

Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

ha thank god for a 6spd, no im just kiddin sucks to hear that man. Mine just went out about 4 weeks ago, had to get a new one. thank god STASIS makes the 6spd for about 2gs less than a rebuild from Audi

Old 04-13-2008, 02:28 AM
3rd Gear

Did you get the close ratio rebuild or the standard one from stasis? And did you get the torsen center differential too?

I would like to have every product stasis sells on my car. Close Ratio Transmission, Torsen, Coilovers(well theyre really koni), and mono6 brakes (alcon calipers)

Quick Reply: Does anybody know about this tranny prob?