S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

DarIntake with classic panel filter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Question DarIntake with classic panel filter???

PLEASE, it is possibility to USE DARINTAKE HOLE with K&N panel filter? I have this one...
it is usefull to cut the hole with this filter?

or it is waste of time and i must sell this panel filter and buy new one like this

or both filters have the same effect...

Last edited by speedys4; 09-11-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i have the first one you are talking about, I just put my k&n in it and works great. I also have the ign filter with the pipe attached but just like the panel filter better for easy of use. i also run a stage 3 off jsut the panel so no loss of power from that.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 AM
1st Gear

It is strange. What is better with this hole .... wrc have straight intake...impact pressure!

I dont know if this modificaton is not regression

maybe is better cone filter in airbox without hole...i think

Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 AM
3rd Gear

Darintake shows increased CFM by a measurable ammount. This is comparable to most other intake options so like it or not it gets more air in your engine and dosnt cost you a thing

Usually people cover the gaping hole(s) with some kind of mesh screen to keep stuff out then put a new K&N or IGT cone filter in the airbox.

Good Pictures

http://public.fotki.com/LI-S4/cars_a...ods/darintake/

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 09-12-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

I dont understand everything. What is CFM please?

but at the bottom is not fresh air..... i dont know if is better.

WRC drives on this closed box ...with "blast of wind" i dont know if it is good translate to english, but i hope that you understand me.

I thinking, that the hole at the bottom is not better, better is cone filter and hole has not effect (there's no point in)
At the bottom is not input of fresh intake, isnt it?

Maybe is better for US version i dont know, how many HP do you have your stock S4 B5? (My engine AGB has 195kw-265HP Stock)

Last edited by speedys4; 09-12-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM
3rd Gear

I think we only get 250HP stock so maybe the difference isnt quite as large for you.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1189646.phtml

Thats another good thread.

Basically the top 2 lines on that graph show the grams/ second of air being measured by the MAF. (in america we call it cfm sometimes, cubic feet per minute). You can see that the Darintake had a measureable effect on the ammount of air taken into the engine. More Air + More Fuel = More power

I understand you, the air still comes from inside the cramped engine bay so the benifit may be questionable. Also leaves, snow, dirt, etc just might get kicked up into your airbox.

Someone on AZ posted this, they cut a hole in their headlight and created a ram-air intake straight into the airbox. This is probably the most effective IMO, but you trash a headlight in the proscess and have no high beams
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ram+air+intake
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/threa....phtml#2804608

I see what you mean

Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

thanx for explanation.

But I thing that better cubic feet per minute (CFM) is ...because on the graph is stock paper filter vs darintake hole + cone filter... the main reason why is CFM better is only cone filter, not hole, isnt it?

Maybe i am idiot but i still dont understand the hole i thing that filter suck air mainly from this hole...and air from outside is better.

You are one of the most skilled members, you have four intakes i guess, darintake, X1,ect ect...what is the best for normally use? i guess stock airbox and ITG cone filter. Stock input is OK a think

that is the best idea.... fresh air ...not hole at airbox in motor place

Last edited by speedys4; 09-12-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by speedys4
thanx for explanation.

But I thing that better cubic feet per minute (CFM) is ...because on the graph is stock paper filter vs darintake hole + cone filter... the main reason why is CFM better is only cone filter, not hole, isnt it?

Maybe i am idiot but i still dont understand the hole i thing that filter suck air mainly from this hole...and air from outside is better.

You are one of the most skilled members, you have four intakes i guess, darintake, X1,ect ect...what is the best for normally use? i guess stock airbox and ITG cone filter. Stock input is OK a think

that is the best idea.... fresh air ...not hole at airbox in motor place
I would say stock airbox, with an IGT or K&N cone filter is fine for 99% of people

I think the increase in g/s is due to both the darintake hole and the cone filter, despite the fact that the darintake hole isnt recieveing cold air. Still i think it does make a difference.

As far as all the intakes on the market, Darintake is a cheap easy DIY stage 1 or 2 mod. The problem is Intakes like the AWE s-flow and ABD big bore havent been proven to work that mcuh better than the darintake especially on stage 1 or 2. And they cost $100-$200

The carbon fiber x-1 is my weakness, just so pretty. This is the one intake i would buy, and only if i was getting a custom stage III tune. Otherwise i cant justify the cost, especially when it might not run right unless your car is tuned for it. It draws cold air in like the stock airbox, but also is supposedto seal against your hood to keep engine heat out and also let cold air in theough the front.

My perfect setup would be the X1 with a CF hood like in the second picture that has a scoop to feed cold air directly into the airbox. It also has a vent to help hot air escape the engine bay.

Name:  CIMG0506.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  95.0 KB

Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanx for reply...
but I dont understand one thing.... "My perfect setup would be the X1 with a CF"

CF does mean the hole in hood?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear

cf = carbon fiber