S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:16 AM
rs
2nd Gear
Default RE: Cold air intake?

just get a cheap acura GSR cold air intake, get urself a cutting tool, some rubber connectors, pressure clamps, ur good to go

my friend custom fit a CAI in his mx3, and it runs like it was prof. done, no leaks or nething

takes about 30-40 mins to play around and see how u gonna cut the piping

Old 03-17-2005, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

Guys lltek cariies and intake system don't they.... www.lltek.com

Old 03-17-2005, 06:21 AM
rs
2nd Gear

$244 tho? ohh! id rather custom fit a CAI for more then half that price

Old 03-20-2005, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

hey Kand N makes a system for our babies guys.... knfilters.com

Old 03-25-2005, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

I like the Awe S-flow and the lltek intake...
I herd that the awe doesn;t make the better sound and performance...

does anyone have the lltek intake with the cone.. shouldn;t it be louder and give more performance

thanks aron

Old 04-02-2005, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: boxerchip

Hem.... actually I hate to correct you correcting me but it does lower the engine temp.... if you have a cone filter in the engine bay and your sucking in 300deg air right next to the engine or near a turbo your engine is going to run hotter than if your sucking in -40 air from outside. and while your right its not all about the cone, most CIAs are cones.
Well... no...

It has nothing to do with the engine temp at all.

A CAI's purpose is to draw as much ambient (cooler) air as possible into the intake. Colder air is denser than warm air. The denser air will have more oxygen per volume. The denser air can then be mixed with more fuel per cc to create a larger combustion (more energy). The cooler air will have no effect on the engine temp.

Unless you are comparing one engine with a CAI and one engine without a CAI and are measuring their temps at the same power output. Under that controlled condition, the CAI engine will be slightly cooler because it doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same hp as the engine without the CAI - and the difference in engine temps will be negligible. The slight temperature difference is not directly related to the cooler air - it is the by-product.

A cooler engine does not necessarily operate more efficiently. It's all about the performance created by the air/fuel mixture.

The air will of course be cooler in -40 degree weather, but let's be realistic. We aren't comparing a car in Minneapolis in January to a car in Phoenix in August. Nobody makes those kind of comparos. Furthermore, both of those car's engines will be operating at the same temperature (provided their cooling systems are operating normally). It's just that the Phoenix car's cooling system will be working overtime to keep it within the correct operating temp range. That increased load (and the obvious fact that air on a summer Phoenix day will be thinner than that found on a winter Minneapolis day) will reduce the overall performance.

BTW: Yes, I do agree that most CAI's use cones. These are designed to help draw in a larger volume of air - hoping that the air is cool.