S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Cold air intake?

I'm just looking around for things to mod an 2002 S4...

So far I've deciced to buy the GIAC ECU chip, but I was told to buy a "Cold Air Intake" kit to compensate for temperature gains the ECU chip will give... can someone show me where I can buy cold air intake systems or kits w/e they are, I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for at sites like apr.com or awe-tuning.com

Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Cold air intake?

There won't be any CAI for the 2.7t unless you want to go custom like I did with a Ram-air through the passenger headlight.

AWE does make a really nice S-Flow system, though.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ImolaS4

There won't be any CAI for the 2.7t unless you want to go custom like I did with a Ram-air through the passenger headlight.

AWE does make a really nice S-Flow system, though.
is the S-Flow pretty much the same thing or what?

Old 03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
3rd Gear

from AWE -
The S-Flo installs completely within the stock airbox and therefore has a stock appearance and sound. Very stealth.
Click to see more:

AWE S-Flow

Old 03-12-2005, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ImolaS4

from AWE -
The S-Flo installs completely within the stock airbox and therefore has a stock appearance and sound. Very stealth.
Click to see more:

AWE S-Flow
k, thanks.

one more question, i'm a lil confused.... Doesn't a cold air intake decrease the temperature of the engine? and doesn't that s-flo just increase air capacity to add 10 more crank hp?

Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

yes a cold air intake normally replaces the stock intake box and is a cone that draws colder air not only having more flow, but loweing engine temps (which addes more HP) the AWE Sflw just adds more surface area for air to be sucked in... this may make the air 1-2 deg colder just because its drowing in outside air faster, but will not give the sound of a CAI and will not give the performance.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear

Minor correction:

A CAI does NOT decrease the temperature of the engine. It allows for colder air to be drawn into the system (read: "Cold Air Intake"). The temperature of the engine is not affected at all. Colder air is more dense than warm air. Therefore, the colder air, with a CAI, will equate to more volume. The resultant calibrated mixture (fuel/air) will be greater. The higher volume of mixture per compression will equate to the actual power produced with each compression/combustion; it will be greater. The engine will still run within its proper running temperature range with or without a CAI. It's all about the volume of air that is drawn into the combustion chamber. Regardless, a lower engine temp, in of itself, has no effect on hp; it won't increase hp. Of course an overheating egine will have an affect on performance/hp, but that's not part of this discussion.

Edit: The CAI is not all about the "cone". It's about separating the intake from excess engine heat that will decrease the density of intake air. CAI's typically have a heat shield or they re-route the intake in such a way that the intake air is effectively colder than as it is when entering the sytem through a stock intake.
If you like the "sound" of a CAI, all you are hearing (extra) is the unbaffled rush of air that is introduced through the open system. The stock system is enclose in a box and the sound is therefore muffled. The AWE S-Flow accomplishes this task very easily. You can hear it as long as it is mounted without the stock box, although some owners claim they can hear a differnce even when it is installed within the box!

Old 03-13-2005, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

Hem.... actually I hate to correct you correcting me but it does lower the engine temp.... if you have a cone filter in the engine bay and your sucking in 300deg air right next to the engine or near a turbo your engine is going to run hotter than if your sucking in -40 air from outside. and while your right its not all about the cone, most CIAs are cones.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

ok the main reason I asked this is because I want to buy a GIAC chip, but then I want something to compensate for the temperature gains the chip will give me, I thought about intercoolers but they are expensive!

Old 03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Yeah they are, they seem to be the best option, but the heat should not be too much of an issue... just dont push the car all the time.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake?