S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

clutchmasters clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 PM
1st Gear
Default clutchmasters clutch

almost 100% sure im going with their stage 3 clutch but i was just wondering if anyone has heard about it or is using it and can give me some feedback? also im kinda thinking about getting their flywheel also or im wondering if i should just stick with a stock oem flywheel?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: clutchmasters clutch

I use both. I would be 100% positive except that I've recently had to replace it after it started slipping in December (was installed only last April). My mechanic claims that the springs in the clutchplate were defective or some such and when I saw my clutch & flywheel they seemed almost like new. Still it was slipping so bad I could almost not drive the car (worse when cold and in colder weather). Otherwise the clutch flywheel combo was working and the new one is once again working great. If it wern't for my experience with having to replace a seemingly new clutch I'd recommend the clutchmasters (with lightweight flywheel - which very noticibly spools up quicker and spins down quicker as well) without hesitation. As it is I don't know what to say. If it prematurly fails again my mechanic is recommending a hybird solution along the lines of what Vast does I gather - beefy kevlar clutch disc, ltwght flywheel but with an RS4 clutch disc (?)which has auto adjustment (he says clutchmaster uses some stock parts [springs] where the RS4 is better). Otherwise clutchmasters is beefier then the RS4. I'm not a mechanic so I may be confusing things a bit - perhaps others here understand the details better. When its functioning it seems to clamp pretty fiercly yet has a near stock feel (if even lighter by a bit)...its engagement takes some getting used to - I'm totally OK with it - but others seem to sometimes have some trouble engaging smoothly...

Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

thanks for your quick response and feedback...to be honest the only reason i was leaning towards the clutchmasters setup was because i can use paypal to pay...i was originally going to go with the rs4 kit but no one excepts paypal who sells it...it does seem though that the stage 3 clutch is a bit stronger than the rs4 but your story kinda scares me a lil...once i do this im hoping i wont have to deal with it again. hmm...i wonder how many other people use this setup or just the stage 3 clutch.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

and also when it went out did clutchmasters send you out a new clutch for free or how did that work out?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

My mechanic is still dealing with Clutchmasters. They were supposed to send the clutch back for Clutchmasters to look at. Clutchmasters said they would cover it if they determined it was a result of a manufacturing defect or such. But who really knows. For all I know it was installed incorrectly. I think my mechanic if very godd - but it is possible. In the meantine I had to pay for it and I'm not holding my breath for getting any money back - and of course much of this is labor which won't be refunded regardless.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

hmm...so i wonder what i should do...i wish there were more people on the forum that could give me some advice..

Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

Well I've heard great things about the Vast - and the RS4 is probably just fine as well. And even with the issues I've had I would wager that a Clutchmasters would do you well - I'm thinking (hoping) that my experience might be an anomolly (but perhaps if i spread the bad word about clutchmasters they will take care of me at least to shut me up...but more importantly of course - to do the right thing by their product and customer)