S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Clutch Blown up by Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Clutch Blown up by Dealer

I’ll make this as short as possible. I took my '04 S4 in for a radio problem and an oil change nearly two weeks ago. The day the dealer was suppose to be done they called and said during the test drive the clutch peddle went to the floor and they are looking at it. I inquired why they needed a test drive for a software repair to the radio. Their response was to make sure it wasn't cutting out over bumps.

The clutch problem: First they told be the probable cause was the slave cylinder probably went out. Today they told me the clutch disks failed, i.e. blown apart.

I just got off the phone with them and they said the transmission should be back in the car and I will be able to pick it up tomorrow.

My question to you guys, since I'm at the mercy of these guys what should I do?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Clutch Blown up by Dealer

Sounds to me like someone at the dealership had a little joy ride in your 340HP audi. I would be pretty angry, but theres really no way you can prove anything so i guess you just have to accept it. At least its being fixed though...

Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Yea, that sounds a bit lame that they took your car out and again you can't really do anything unless somehow you can prove it like the 100ft Burn out and launches they did in your car. haha jk!

They're covering the clutch right, if so then sounds like you got out ahead?

Adam~

Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

I guess I don't have a choice but to accept it, especially because they are the only local Audi dealership around. I hate being at the mercy of others.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE: The transmission is back in the car, during the test drive the O2 sensor is causing an engine light. They need to overnight the part for tomorrow.
I'm just curious, why wouldn't an Audi dealership have this part on the shelf? Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Dude, you should seriously contact the service center manger, explain to them your concerns about what possibly would have caused your clutch to suddenly fail like that (i.e., someone not driving the car properly...) and also the loss of time and inconvienence of the experience. You should be able to get some comps out of it, maybe free oil changes or something.

As for the part not being instock, inventory costs money, so it's probably an item that is easier and cheaper to order when needed from their distributors than it is to have it sitting in their inventory where they have to manage and expense it. Not to mention that it could be an item that has a low turn, but is updated frequently or has a short shelf life, so you could get a better built product ordering as needed (pull demand) instead of ordering what you think you'll need to for a given time (push demand).

Additionally, as more and more 02 sensors (and all parts) are produced by the OEM, the BOM and FOB costs come down, so in theory, they should be able to get them for cheaper and cheaper as time goes on; scale of economies.

That, or they just like to keep customers cars off the road, because after all, if you're not driving the car, then it probably won't break down....

Regards,
B - supply chain manager / demand planner / migrant cubicle farm worker

Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 PM

you had an oil change and radio checked out? and it ended up being a clutch problem[:-]something not right there tell them you have a leak in the exhaust and they will change the engine?

Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

When I take my car to a mechanic, they usually make me sign something saying they can take my car for a test drive. If you took it to the dealer and didnt give them consent to take it for a ride, then you aren't in anyway responsible for what happened to your clutch. Just my opinion and my experiences..

Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM

I dont need a test drive to confirm a clutch is burned out and since the car went in for a service and it was ok I would be sceptical of that result?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

No, Im saying they should NOT have test drove it in the 1st place without him signing something. If they blew the clutch while taking it for a joy ride, then it is 100% their fault. At least thats they way it works here in NC...

I thought they test drove his car after some radio fixes? nothing was wrong with the clutch at that time... until after they test drove it

Quick Reply: Clutch Blown up by Dealer