S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Chip Debate: APR v GIAC

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 07:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Chip Debate: APR v GIAC

Sorry in advance ... Im sure this has been discussed numerous times, but I have to run into work and I dont have time to search. If this has been discussed numerous times before, will someone just post up a link for me to look at? thanks... And, in the odd event this hasn't been discussed repeatedly, could you guys give me some of your thoughts on the GIAC chip versus the APR chip? Both seem to do similar things and are similarly priced. So any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance,
--Adam

Old 07-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Chip Debate: APR v GIAC

whichever dealer is closer to you.. you could throw in mtm, and asp into that mix too.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, kinda figured. Both dealers are exactly 45minutes from me (GIAC and APR). So, really it doesn't matter? Both pretty much are offering the same horse power diff's and both can toggle between settings. I was just curious if there were any outlying differences that would make one better than the other. Thanks for the help, though.
--Adam

Old 07-23-2006, 12:47 AM
2nd Gear

from what i've read, apr chips have been known to cause engines to blow. giac has been the popular favorite ecu upgrade for s4 enthusiasts. audiworld recently did a comparison on two s4's one tuned by apr and the other awe (which is a dealer of giac). the article said that the apr chip would produce more boost in the earlier stages of revving, where the giac will produce more power closer to redlining.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear

for more info, here's the website for the audiworld article.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/06/2006archive.html

scroll down to the may articles, and it's titled "S4 Showdown: APR's stage III s4 vs. AWE's RS4"

hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for info Hano. I kinda wanted to stay with APR because the shop who is doing my clutch is a dealer for APR, and it would be easy and convenient to do the Chip, DV, and TBB there... but the drive to AWE is so short, that it may be worth it to save my motor Thanks again,
--Adam

Old 07-23-2006, 04:54 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Hano

from what i've read, apr chips have been known to cause engines to blow. giac has been the popular favorite ecu upgrade for s4 enthusiasts. audiworld recently did a comparison on two s4's one tuned by apr and the other awe (which is a dealer of giac). the article said that the apr chip would produce more boost in the earlier stages of revving, where the giac will produce more power closer to redlining.
Known to blow your TURBO not engine... noob. Anyways, it is just myth but several cars I've heard that upgraded to the APR chip blew their turbo. Excessive boost causing failure, improper cooling down after running the car hard, anything could have done it, whether the chip added to the failuer, not really sure. However, I would go with AWE, their chip seems to offer more IMO.
-Adam ()

Old 07-23-2006, 04:58 AM
1st Gear

Haha Mott ... I think I should be the one with the wink (im still the newbie to this forum) -- Thankfully, with both AWE and APR vendors close to me (well, actually, im 45 from AWE's headquarters, i'll prolly head out to AWE when I get my car back from APR haha ... it won't be for a few months ... At least this time i'll only need a grand versus the two im putting into the clutch/flywheel. Thanks again to all those who've posted. Much appreciated.
--Adam ()

Old 07-23-2006, 05:32 AM
2nd Gear

Heh, I would still say head over to AWE HQ, get a tour of the place and check out some of their bitchin rides. 10 bucks says they'll have at least ONE Carrera GT their. Just seeing the projects there would be worth it.

Be sure to tell us how the new Stage 2 feels, I'm curious.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I called up AWE yesterday just to see if they could fit me in the next few weeks. They said "yeah, bring your car by. We should have you out in a few hours if its just a chip, throttle body boot, and diverter valves." They also said I was welcome to come tour their 15,000 sq ft. shop! So I will definately be making that drive out there soon.

Keep you updated on the stage 2 clutch? Wrong thread Or are we already assuming that im going with a 'stage 2' setup for the whole car?! Haha, if you are referring to the clutch (as i'm assuming you are), they shop told me that the only real difference between that one and the stocker is that it has a much lower catch point. Unfortunately though, I didnt drive the car enough with the stocker (especially bc it was slipping) so I won't be able to compare. But i'll do my best to explain...
--Adam

Quick Reply: Chip Debate: APR v GIAC