S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

CEL for washer fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Default CEL for washer fluid?

Ok, so weird story here. I was about to make a 6 hour trip from PA to NC and my check engine light comes on. About 2 minutes later, my car beeped at me and told me my washer fluid was low. I drove home with both things on, car seemed to run normal no issues or anything different. I bought washer fluid and put it in, then I was about to start it up and take it to my mechanic and my CEL turned off. I did not get the code or anything. I thought the CEL mainly came on if we had emissions problems or a sensor goes out, but I never would have thought it would come on for low washer fliud, lol. Any ideas? Should I go ahead and take it in just incase?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: CEL for washer fluid?

No the washer fluid has its own warning light that looks like a fountain in the HUD display when its out of fluid.
The check engine light is probably something small like an EVAP fault, maybe a gas cap.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I got the CEL and the warning light at about the same time, and they both went away after I filled the washer fliud resevoir. It wasnt the gas cap because I filled the tank on my way home and made sure the gas cap was tight, and the CEL was still on at the time.. maybe I will just stop by the mechanic on Wednesday and have him grab the old code

Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
3rd Gear

It should be a stored code, find out what it is, really I'll say it's not washer fluid related.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

Well, bad news. It's the torque coverter clutch. Looks like a trip to shop is coming soon. Quick question, if anyone can explain the EXACT function of this part to me, and whether it is a lubricated part or not. Hydralic and/or ATF flows through this part right?[&:] (this would determine whether my warranty pays for it or not)

Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM

without the fault code its pie in the sky and even I wouldn't second guess because that's all it would be

Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: joshpsu
Well, bad news. It's the torque coverter clutch. Looks like a trip to shop is coming soon. Quick question, if anyone can explain the EXACT function of this part to me, and whether it is a lubricated part or not. Hydralic and/or ATF flows through this part right? [&:] (this would determine whether my warranty pays for it or not)
the TC is basically the "clutch" for a TIP. It is outside of the trans, & uses the trans fluid to hydrolock the TC & put torque threw the trans.

Yes, it's lubed with trans fluid, & is a hydraulic part.

If you have any kind of driveline coverage it should be covered.

There is a seal in the TC, that fails, chances are this is your problem, they updated it in the latter 00 cars.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Thanks 2K, thats a huge help. I googled the Torque converter clutch and found some insight but your explanation beats all.

I have an aftermarket warranty with "platinum coverage" which says it includes coverage on the "torque converter case and all internally lubricated parts". My coverage also covers all gaskets and seals, so that should be under my warranty as well. Thanks a bunch, and I will let you know how the trip to the shop on Friday goes. By the way, how much does this repair usually cost?? I also heard it can be a time lengthy repair... blah

Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 PM

its the small print that kills on the warranty so read it next time

Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

O, I read it 50 times over, and thats the line I came up with haha. I was reading it making sure the part/labor for this would be covered, and by what I printed above Im prettttttttty sure this will be covered. By what 2K S4 said, and what it says on the paper about the torque converter case coverage (and this is a lubricated part in the case), there should be no reason why this isnt covered. I guess I will see on Friday though, but if they try and tell me it's not covered they will be hearing my thoughts

Quick Reply: CEL for washer fluid?