S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Can I REALLY afford that S4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Default Can I REALLY afford that S4?

Hello everybody, I'm new and I'm buying an S4? I'm trading up from a Wrangler to an S4 in the next month or so and I was just wondering what the general consensus was on the way this car sounds. '00 Black/Black S4 with Navigation, Bose, Homelink, virtually everything. It's got 92k miles and it's Automanual, they want $13,900 for it which is VERY reasonable even with the 4 rock chips on the hood and scuff on the front spoiler. Is getting the car inspected at my local Audi dealer the way to go? It's not that the money's not there for the repairs especially at this price, but I would like to know what I'm getting myself into since I'm in college and my dad will definitely need that heads up....thoughts??? By the way I am more than impressed with the way that thing drove, my buddy claims it drives like it's got 20k on it not 90.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Can I REALLY afford that S4?

WELL CONGRATS ON THE DECISION . I JUST MADE THE DECISION NOT TO LONG AGO MY SELF ,I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT GETTING IT INSPECTED IS A GOOD THIMG ITS WORTH THE 150 $ TO GET IT INSPECTED . MY 2000 S4 HAS AROUND 69000 MILES ON IT AND IT DRIVES WELL TO . UNLESS IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE YOU WILL NEED SOME REPAIRS OR BETTER SAID UPKEEP.
TIMING BELT ,WATER PUMPS (THERE'S TWO ), MOTOR MOUNTS . THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT THESE CARS ARE PRONE FOR .
BUT BESIDES THAT THE ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY. SOME OF THE OTHER THINGS I HAVENT RUN INTO YET BUT THOSE ARE JUST A FEW THINGS THAT I WAS TOLD THAT GO AROUND THAT MILEAGE OR AROUND MINE ! THE TURBOS USUALLY GO AROUND THAT TIME TO AND THAT COULD BE A PROBLEM UNFORTUNATLY NOBODY CAN GIVE U A TEST WHEATHER THEY HAVE BEEN ABUSED OR NOT SO THAT IS CHANCE JUST HAVE SOME MONEY LAYING AROUND IN CASE THEY DO GO! OTHER THAN THAT IT IS A GREAT CAR AND GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear

Caps Lock is right next to the a key.

funny thing i have a friend with a Jeep Wrangler who is also planning on selling to get an S4. Personally man i would recommend you find a car with lower miles. keep in mind that this is a turbo car, and turbos tend to see problems at this kind of mileage. If you have enough to replace the turbos somtime in the next year or two then you should be fine, but otherwise i might reconsider.

another idea for you is to get a 98-99 Audi A4 1.8T. if you decide to get an A4, stick with the 1.8T because the engine is VERY moddable. This car at 50-60k will be $8-9.5k. After that purchase you will have enough money left over to modify your A4 BEYOND what a stock S4 would be. If you decide to do this, don;t do it blindly. You don't want to mod your car in a way that would be unreliable. MAke sure you upgrade the pieces that will need to be upgraded to keep your car runnin.

My $.02. well maybe more like $.50

Old 01-13-2006, 02:37 AM

maintence is high

Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 AM
1st Gear

Yeah..like a freakin' alternator that is around $420!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

WHERE'S THE CAPS LOCK KEY ? ANYONE PLEASE!!!

Old 01-13-2006, 09:39 PM

by the a on ur keyboard.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Just hold the "Shift" key down while you're typing.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

honestly if you have to ask, then the answer is no.

If you love the car enough to not care if you can afford it, that's different.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear

sry to be an *** blue renegade but when people keep the caps on i always feel like i'm getting yelled at. Why do you keep it like that anyways?

and yeah well put on last reply ^^^

Quick Reply: Can I REALLY afford that S4?