S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Buying S4 that sat for 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Buying S4 that sat for 3 years

Hey,

Tomorrow Im going to be purchasing a 2001 audi s4 6spd. The guy said its mostly sat for the last 3 years. However he has started it from time to time and taken it for a spin. He also had some one test drive it yesterday. says it starts right up. No issues.

It has 95k miles and he says 60k service has never been done.

MY QUESTION is if the sale goes through and i get the s4, what services should be done exactly? timing belt, water pump, etc... what exactly? plugs?

any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear

this:
Audi B5 S4 2.7T > Maintenance > View All > ES#7439 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Plus - 078198670

this:
Audi B5 S4 2.7T > Maintenance > View All > ES#259658 Valve Cover Gasket - Complete Kit - 078996025

this:
Audi B5 S4 2.7T > Maintenance > ES#1521 ECS Tuning Oil Service Kit - Includes Drain Plug - B5V630V3KKT

and all the vac lines, maybe boost hoses(throttle body boot especially), new or upgraded snub mount and all other fluids. check the coil packs and icm's. i'm still on originals.

vag-com it before you purchase.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

I agree with the above post and def. have it scanned. If you don't have a scanner either find someone or take it somewhere to have it done. It only takes a few minutes and even if it costs $60 it will be well worth it. Could uncover a major issue you wouldn't other wise have seen. How much is he asking by the way any rust from sitting? Also check the brakes, tires etc.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Alright well I got the vehicle and while its not exactly how I pictured it, it is a good solid ride.

This is what Im thinking of doing...
-IF THERE IS ANYTHING I SHOULDN'T OR DONT NEED TO DO, LEMME KNOW!!

---Maintenance
The ECS timing belt kit

Valve cover gasket

Spark plugs

coil packs

New throttle body boot

new hoses

new fluids (which ones exactly?)

---Upgrades

Forge DV

ITG intake

H&R sport springs

Catted DP

Jfonz Tune

Do you guys think ill be safe with this? and are there anymore upgrades I should do as well?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ko4's =)

does it leak any oil or any fluids for that matter?

check compression.....

did the car come modded at all?

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear

no on the itg intake. just do the darintake mod. you will just be installing a hot air intake with the itg. upgrade the throtte body boot to silicone. ss auto chrome the down pipes and grab a used stage one or two tune from the classifieds on audizine or vw vortex. forge dvs are great but pricey and unnecessary. unless youre going beyond stage three all youll need is the oem upgraded 710n dv's.

as for the fluids you should change everything. motul or amsoil are always good brands to go with for oil and tranny. g-12 for coolant and pentosin for power steering.

+++check on ebay for a cheap silicone hose kit. just dont use the throttle body boot that comes with it. autobahn 88 is the name i think.

+++check aux. water pump and the coolant "t" that is right in front of the coolant reservoir. both should need replacing after a three year wait.

Last edited by FonzoB5S4; 03-03-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

I understand going the budget route, but thats what ive partly done with my previous 3 cars. But with this girl, I finally have the chance to go the legit route (financially) so i think Im willing to spend a few extra dollars.

But is my maintenance list ok? is there anything I should ad?

How important are engine and tranny mounts?

and which fluids should be changed and what kind?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Also I am looking at the timing belt kit and there is the one you showed me for $459 or there is one just like it minus the cam locking tool for $279.

If Im having a shop do the timing belt do i need the cam locking tool? Because thats a pretty big price difference.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear

if youre getting all this done at a shop then get the kit without the cam locking tool. as for the rest of your maintenance items, i would throw in all new vac. lines as well. then for the boost hoses go with samco. with the engine mounts, i say you should get them. i have the stern mounts all around. theyre awesome. for the dp's go with 034, wagner, rai, asp, or fast intentions.

on the ecu tune i would still recommend buying a used stage 1 or 2. when you go stage 3 then get a custom tune. also gonna stay firm on nixing the forge dv's. 710n's are the way to go unless you are putting down lots of hp. its just money you can put in on something else on the car like diff mounts, snub mount, control arms, etc. if you really want an intake get the 034 one. its the only one with a legit heat shield.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

No need to change the coil packs if they aren't misfiring.

Change engine oil and filter
Trans fluid
Differentials fluid
brake fluid
coolant

Timing belt, water pump, thermostat serpentine belt.

Possible drain the gas as it has been in there for 3 years it has turned to varnish. Give it a good all around check over. Suspension points, brakes bushings etc and go from there.

Quick Reply: Buying S4 that sat for 3 years