S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Buying a 2004/5 Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM
3rd Gear
Default Buying a 2004/5 Audi S4

Oh herroooo. I bought a 1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro automatic, the car in my sig, in April. Love the car, handles like a champ and looks great. However I have a couple complaints. I screwed up buying an automatic. I want a standard, which is one of the reasons why I'm looking into the S4. I also want a car with more *****. Merging onto the highway with the 2.8 is sluggish and not very exciting, I like to have fun driving and the 2.8 isn't giving me the acceleration I want. So I'm looking to buy the S4 next year after I saved up a bit.

My question to you guys is this; what should I be looking for when buying an 04/05 S4? I've been looking around online and see them ranging from 15 - 20k. I looked on KBB.com and those prices seem pretty accurate. Aside from that what should I look out for? Thanks!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

Stay clear of models after a certain date, something like 11/03... can't remember. Solid cars though, shouldn't have many problems.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear

That's what I've been reading. How come I should stear clear?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 AM
2nd Gear

Or before 11/03 I meant.

Can't remember exactly, but I know there was a couple deficiencies with the engine, among other smaller aspects. If I can find the article that explains the problems, I'll shoot it your way. Other than that, I've heard nothing but solid things about the B5 platform.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 AM
3rd Gear

No no, this is a B6. That'd be great if I could get that article.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

hah, sorry thats what i meant; brain fart

Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

My understanding of the problem with the earliest S4s was the timing chain tensioner would fail, requiring the engine to be pulled and the timing chain and tensioner replaced. However IMO, by now - the tensioner would have either already been replaced, or if it's lasted 50k+ and 6 years without a problem then there is no reason it should be a problem now. So I think the avoidance of the early cars is exaggerated. I think it is much more important to get a car which was maturely owned, well taken car of and has a documented history of maintenance and repairs than worry about the build date.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:15 AM

Bought a 2005 B6 S4 last September and have put about 10,000 miles on it (it now has a little over 50k), maybe a little more. The only mechanical problem I have had was a faulty spark plug that cause one of the cylinders to mis-fire. It was covered by my CPO warranty but usually costs about 250-300 to repair.

Other things to know:

-Goes through oil like a beast. I add a quart every two months and, no its not leaking.
-Headlights. Once i entered the rainy season my lights would condense heavily on the inside (i mean water droplets roughly 5mm in diameter) and would stay condensed for weeks after the most recent storm. Had to ride the local dealership for two months before they replaced them.
-I'm not sure if they all come with recaro seats, but make sure yours does. They don't let your body slide in turns and if you like taking turns...

Love the car. I smile every time I sit in it.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by snibborfm
Bought a 2005 B6 S4 last September and have put about 10,000 miles on it (it now has a little over 50k), maybe a little more. The only mechanical problem I have had was a faulty spark plug that cause one of the cylinders to mis-fire. It was covered by my CPO warranty but usually costs about 250-300 to repair.

Other things to know:

-Goes through oil like a beast. I add a quart every two months and, no its not leaking.
-Headlights. Once i entered the rainy season my lights would condense heavily on the inside (i mean water droplets roughly 5mm in diameter) and would stay condensed for weeks after the most recent storm. Had to ride the local dealership for two months before they replaced them.
-I'm not sure if they all come with recaro seats, but make sure yours does. They don't let your body slide in turns and if you like taking turns...

Love the car. I smile every time I sit in it.
Goes through oil very quickly, especially at high speeds. Burnt about a quart this spring doing a 160mph run, absolutely amazing but freaked when I thought I lost all my oil.

Yes all B6's come with recaro seats.

Try to get an 05 to be eligible for an EXTENDED WARRANTY. Best purchase you can make as it will help you in the long run. The cars are solid, fun, fast, and have some *****. But that all equates to more stress meaning a better chance something could break. I've used my warranty (Good until 115,000 miles) once now for a $1200 job, only paid $200 because they considered tranny fluid a maintenance item. I cant stess the Ext. Warr. enough.

Get a manual like you're planning

Lastly try going through an auto broker, it will save you thousands as dealerships add a premium to the cars since they're a little more "rare" and a performance car.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

I definately recommend getting a 2004 Audi S4. I just purchased one 3 weeks ago. In silver, with Recaro sport seats AND a Milltek Exhaust system that costed $3,100. This car sounds like a beast. Takes corners like a beast and sure as hell looks like a beast. I bought an AUTOMATIC though so its up to you. I bought it used with 76,000 miles on it for $17,200. The only problem I have noticed is a popping sound in the front right portion of my vehicle. Perhaps a wheel bearing? I am getting it checked out on Monday morning. Otherwise great car!! GO FOR IT!!!

Quick Reply: Buying a 2004/5 Audi S4