S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Brand new to audi!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Brand new to audi!

Hey guys,

I currently own a 95 BMW M3 and am getting a little bored. so im on the market for new car, and i have always been attracted to the S4. im comming here to ask you guys for your thoughts on the car. im sure i wont get a compleatly unbiased opinion but i would like some personal experience's with the car rather then just what u read in online reviews and such. thanks in advance guys !

-Hutch-

Old 09-10-2006, 04:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brand new to audi!

welcome aboard !!! It all depends on which Model S4 you are looking into ..the B5 S4 was made from 2000-2002 which consists of a V6 Bi-turbo(Twin Turbo) engine rated at 250hp but dont let the low numbers fool you. they can rocket from 0-60 in high 5 to low 6 second range which is excellent concidering it is a German Vehicle and we all know German vehicles are Heavy.. now the B6 & B7, Curent models (B6-2004-2005/B7-2006)eliminated the Turbos all together and came out with a V8 Rated at 340 horses..

Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Site Moderator

But also with some mods you can increase that number quite nicely... i know mine will run about 4.2-4.5 second 0-60. The new 04+ s4s should run 5.0-5.4 0-60 but their interior is awesome..so nice in those.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Site Moderator

ahh with intercooler/s id be close... i think with 100 oct id be at it w/ or w/o intercooler/s

Old 09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sooks

But also with some mods you can increase that number quite nicely... i know mine will run about 4.2-4.5 second 0-60. The new 04+ s4s should run 5.0-5.4 0-60 but their interior is awesome..so nice in those.

Thanks for that wee bit of info.. especially the 4.2-4.5 sec 0-60 numbers [8D]

Old 09-10-2006, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

First off let me say thanks for all the great info and the warm welcome always nice to come to a new forum and get good response. The one im looking at is a 2000 s4 6 speed and what not. i have heard that the twin turbo set up is rather responsive to a good chip. is this true or am i just talking out my ***? also how reliable are they overall? and one last newbish question, i heard the twin turbo S4 took kindly to moding? thanks again for the great response and putting up with my stupid new questions !

-Hutch-

Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

you are absolutely right.. The Bi Turbo v6 takes really well to mods.. but thats where like any other manufacturer, IT depleates the reliability. As far as reliability right off the bat, you will hear mixed responses.. poeple have had great success with these cars and others nothing but trouoble.. its all in the "How" you treat your vehicle.. "how" you keep up with her maintenance... if you search the year in question. (2000 S4), you will find the Troubles this particular year encountered, for instance TBB, DV's, F-Hose..

Old 09-12-2006, 05:49 AM
2nd Gear

Bi-turbo v6 takes very well to modding...costs some $ of course - as do other upgrades necessary for better engine/drivetrain reliability. Just a chip is nice - but the real deal comes with KO4 turbo u/gs and associated hardware. Lots of Audi normal parts seem to wear out quickly and are expensive to replace (and the vehical your considering will likley need a lot of maintanence...for instance has timing belt been replaced? What about suspension components? Has it been lowered or modded in any way? All effects longevity of parts and likelyhood you will need to replace sooner rather then later)....but the joy of driving is tops IMO...a very satisfying drive...in all weather....

Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

thanks for all the great info guys! Roadhawk i currently drive a BMW M3 so i have a feel for expensive parts lol i see u have a BMW as well, how do u feel maintinace compares? also is there any preventitive work i can do on the car (other then the timing belt and such). i am also 2/3rds done with schooling at New englad tech wich i am attending for automotive tech (grease monkey) so i am very compitent with working on cars and such and have access to about every tool under teh such lol. thanks again for any and all info guys!

-Hutch-

Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear

Well so far I have had absolutly 0 maintenance with the BMW (only being 2 years old with about 20K on it). It runs like a champ...truly a great car - supremely balanced and a joy to drive and to drive quickly and assertively. The S4 (with mods) is in a whole different league however...comperable to an M3 in many ways - but very different in many ways. I'm told (and I would have no problem believeing) that Audi parts are more $$$ then BMW stuff...I think they share some similar issues (electric etc)...as all German cars seem to have (with VW perhaps being worse then either in many respects...)

The S4 will keep you busy I think - but I can imagine you getting very into modding it...once you get started...lol...as for maintenance - yeah - lots of things. Somewhere in this forum I think is a link to a huge list of items to consider...I'll see if I can find it...if not you should search here or at Audiworld.

Quick Reply: Brand new to audi!