S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

brake boosting questions +++

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: brake boosting questions +++

american cars dont use bosh parts and most of my car have been air density cars and if your not sure what that is feel free to ask

Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

speed density is what i ment to say

Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

and its bosch

Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

dude your ******* annoying

Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM

First off brake boosting isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be. You'll shred your pads and warp your rotors. Puts a little extra stress on the driveline but nothing compared to launching the cars like members here do all the time.

As for the ecu it's a safety feature. Say you're breaking on ice and there's a car in front of you. If part of your foot were to hit the gas pedal, you would launch forward into the other car. Audi is basically just making it dumbass proof.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

american cars dont use bosh parts and most of my car have been air density cars and if your not sure what that is feel free to ask
speed density is what i ment to say
and its bosch
sorry man, but now you just acting like an idiot, American cars do use Bosch. But, now since you are talking my field I would like to chime in.

Most years before 87 had the speed density for performance cars, but what most use now from 87-current they use mass air systems which uses a MAF sensor. Most imports, GM, Ford, and GMC use MAF systems, not speed density.

whats your point this is my 11th turbo car i have had, i bracket raced for years and been on the street for more i have built many cars ran the **** out of them and never had one problem not to mention the fact that the tip has nothing to do with what im talking about and they are worthless the car will only go in a gear that it knows at that speed so it still shift up if you dont and it wont shift down til at safe rmps for the engine
We are not talking about racing simulators here. I have owned and built many cars as well including nitrous, twin T3/T4’s, single T-60’s, YS-Trim chargers, big blocks, does this make me knowledgeable, no. It makes me experienced on the way I do things.
Actually you are quite wrong about TIPs; it shows you don’t know anything about them. You are thinking about general automatics. It will do anything you can do and sometimes better, can you rev match, it will hold the gear as long as you want it to. It will just not down shift into redline. That is the only thing it will not do, and you don’t want to do anyways even if you had a manual. These cars are not your typical beat the hell out of it car. You will dump so much money it’s not even funny.

Just try to throw a MBC on there & turn it, then see what happens....

Trust me, you have to forget most of what you know & start over.
Couldnt have said it any better than this.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: tsbpenguin

First off brake boosting isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be. You'll shred your pads and warp your rotors. Puts a little extra stress on the driveline but nothing compared to launching the cars like members here do all the time.
If you believe that then you should read this. scroll to the bottom section " Capacities and Failure Modes"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
Brake boosting an auto transmission isvirtually like applying a clutch halfway on a manual gearbox and matting the accelerator.It creates a ton of heat. You might as well be towing a 5000 lb. trailer behind you.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: RED_01

If you believe that then you should read this. scroll to the bottom section " Capacities and Failure Modes"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
Brake boosting an auto transmission isvirtually like applying a clutch halfway on a manual gearbox and matting the accelerator.It creates a ton of heat. You might as well be towing a 5000 lb. trailer behind you.
Ok but compare the stress of brake boosting vs the stress of launching a manual. You think that doesnt generate a lot of heat?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Only if the clutch slips. Otherwise not half as much heatas a torque converter that is multiplying torque by slipping (the difference between pump and turbine speed).
If you launch a car with a clutch and the clutch grabs and doesn't slip then the pressure plate and friction plate are spinning as one unit and there is virtually no friction anda minimal amount of heat is being created.The energy is transfered to the driveline as kinetic energy. Energy is only transformed to another form of energy if the clutch slips then theenergy is being lost through heat (thermal energy) created from friction.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RED_01

Only if the clutch slips. Otherwise not half as much heatas a torque converter that is multiplying torque by slipping (the difference between pump and turbine speed).
If you launch a car with a clutch and the clutch grabs and doesn't slip then the pressure plate and friction plate are spinning as one unit and there is virtually no friction anda minimal amount of heat is being created.The energy is transfered to the driveline as kinetic energy. Energy is only transformed to another form of energy if the clutch slips then theenergy is being lost through heat (thermal energy) created from friction.
Heat isn't the only cause of stress. Quit being a tool. You're putting stress on all your mechanical parts on a launch. Diffs, axles, etc.

Quick Reply: brake boosting questions +++