S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Bottomed Out in parking lot, noises coming from drive train, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Bottomed Out in parking lot, noises coming from drive train, please help

I was pulling into a parking lot today and bottomed out. the curb wansnt abnormally high or angled or anything weird, so i dont know how exactly it happened. i was going slow and drove in at an angle. It hit pretty hard, sounded like a loud thump, people walking down the sidewalk, 30-40 feet away turned around to see what happened. as i started to pull forward, it sounded like something was scraping the ground. i immediatley got out and checked the under the car but nothing was hanging down. i pulled forward some more and heard the noise again. it hit under the drivers side, diagonally behind the front right wheel. scraping is visible and a piece of plastic covering is hanging down about 1/2 an inch. i took it for a drive around the block and found that the noise only happens if i dont accelerate. under constant acceleration its fine, no noises, drives perfect. as soon as i let off the gas it starts up again. if i'm going over 10 mph, it sounds like a little kids bike when he puts a baseball card in the spokes to make the "engine" sound. it still drives fine, no loss of power, no vibration in the wheel. another thing i noticed is that when driving forward, the noise seems to be coming more from the front right side, and in reverse more towards the rear right side. has anyone ever heard of this or anything like it? i have no idea what it could be, my friend thinks its the drive train/shaft. any help is greatly appreciated, and if anything is unclear let me know and i'll try and better explain it. thanks in advance

Old 10-01-2006, 04:49 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Bottomed Out in parking lot, noises coming from drive train, please help

Mate u need one of those Panzer Plates from dieslgeeks

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=375

Dont know how low u car is

Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Bottomed Out in parking lot, noises coming from drive train, please help

well, incase any of you are wondering exactly what happened to my car, and i know all of you are, it was a simple heat shield that was popped out of place when i bottomed out. all they had to do at the dealership was lift it up and pop the heat shield back into place, cost a cool 85 bux, not too bad i guess, considering i thought it was the draft shaft or axles.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:47 AM
2nd Gear

If only every thing was that easy on an Audi[:'(]