S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Black Smoke....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Black Smoke....HELP!

Thanks Dave

Old 08-23-2006, 03:56 PM

any time mate I just hope it helps

Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 PM
3rd Gear

A few puffs of black smoke when you go WOT is fine, it's just throttle enrichment.

Now if it keeps pumping out balck smoke, there is WAY to much fuel going threw your car.

Check for a CEL, it might be so easy as a bad N75 limiting boost, or a boost leak.

But if you don't fix it, you will ruin your cats & O2's, various other things.

You can check for your self if the car is chipped, remove the ECU, see if it has a sticker on the box, or open it up and see if it has a aftermaket chip in it.

I really hate it when everyone blames a poor running car on upgrades! Just shows that they have NO clue how the car works.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Thx,
When the dealer told me that the amount of smoke was a chip attribute, i thought he was very well blowing smoke up my a$$, I've owned a few chipped cars b4 the S4 and never experienced such problems - the info I've gotten of this board in the last few days will give me plenty to hit him up on. Thx everyone for their thoughts on this!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:15 PM

only one point here ( remove the ground cable before you take the ECU out ) and remember the radio code and when you refit the battery ensure the live + goes on first
ORIGINAL: 2k S4

A few puffs of black smoke when you go WOT is fine, it's just throttle enrichment.

Now if it keeps pumping out balck smoke, there is WAY to much fuel going threw your car.

Check for a CEL, it might be so easy as a bad N75 limiting boost, or a boost leak.

But if you don't fix it, you will ruin your cats & O2's, various other things.

You can check for your self if the car is chipped, remove the ECU, see if it has a sticker on the box, or open it up and see if it has a aftermaket chip in it.

I really hate it when everyone blames a poor running car on upgrades! Just shows that they have NO clue how the car works.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Want My Theory!

BOOST LEAK! Air ( that has already been metered and a specific amount of fuel has been delivered for by the ECU) is escaping the system. Making you run rich. I'll bet my bottom dollar your Throttle Body Boot is split or you have some other major leak somewhere in the IC Pipes or my name isn't Jenny!

No CEL. Then I expect that your o2 sensors are working properly. These cars are smart, they'll tell if something is failing sensor wise.

"behaves but after a good 10 minutes iof thrashing around there's a noticable difference in the performance - especially further up the rev counter"

HEAT SOAK! I assume your on stock intercoolers. Get used to it. If its chipped you can expect to exceed the cooling capacity of your intercoolers more quickly than in stock form. As you boost around the IC's get hot and stay hot unless given a chance to cool down. When things get hot, Boosted cars like to detonate or Knock. Give it a chance to cool down between " thrashings" If you knock or detonate the ECU retards timing and that does not equate to making power. Especially on top of boost leaks.

"surging/spluttering." See: Boost leak. If you have a leak after the turbo, yeah its going to surge like that. THe system builds boost... Your happy! the car is moving fwd quickly! then air starts to leak out ( a disproportionate amount of fuel is present) boost can't be maintained so the turbo spins faster to make up for it.. oh! your moving again.. but the air is still leaking and its starts this vicious cycle of surge coupled with a PIG rich Air fuel Ratio.

Get your car FAR AWAY from that DEALER..

Make your own Boost leak tester and pressure test the induction system. Over your head yet????

Parts Needed:

A 4 inch long piece of 3.5" O.D. (outside diameter) hose or large coupler. To be fit over your intake TUBE where that accordian looking hose attaches, ( after the MAF/ AirMeter)
PVC end cap.
2 band clamps that will fit around the pipe above.
A valve stem (I used the rubber type you press in)

Find a compressor and boost guage ( So you don't go putting 100 PSI into your ****) 1 spray bottle with soapy water to hose every coupler and vacume line you can find. Look for Bubbles. then Make em Go Away..

Old 08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Jenny...you had me at "boost leak"