S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

best snow tires for S4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Default best snow tires for S4?

i need to get some snow tires for my S4, the factory summer tires are just unacceptable for any snow at all.
the summer tires are Michilin Pilot Sports (a very nice tire i may add)

i've been shoping around and have noticed a few tires that seem to be good, but i would like to hear some first hand experiance before i buy anything.

i've been eyeing up th Bridgestone Blizzaks WS-50's and the LM-22's
i hear that their snow traction is superb, but they tend to be very noisey and dont handle too well.
i've also been checking out the Michilin Pilot Alpin PA-2's
i've been told that they are much quieter, handle better , and only sacrifice a little traction.

i live in Philly so i dont drive thorugh snow all winter long, this is why traction is not the only factor i am considering in this choice.
Traction is VERY important, but so is the handling of the tire and the quietness of it.

anyone ever mount any of these tires on their car? If so, what did u think of them? Were they noisey? how about traction?
i'm not beyond considering other tires too, but these 3 have been the one's i'm leaning towards so far.

ANY INPUT WOULD BE GRAETLY APPRICIATED
thanx

Old 01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: best snow tires for S4?

I bought a set of the Dunlop (M3, I think) last year. I could put a plow in the front and do driveways as a side job, they have that much grip. Incidentally, I bought them mounted on new wheels from TireRack, so there is no twice a year mounting and balancing, and I get twice the length of use out of each set. Well worth it. I just got another mounted set of the new Dunlops (M4 I think) for my wife's BMWxi. We have a spot in the Berkshires so we do a lot of snow driving.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
6th Gear

Blizzaks seem to be a popular winter tire.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 AM
4th Gear

right on jesty

Old 01-07-2005, 05:25 AM

I thought these all-season tires were good.

Continental ContiExtremeContact (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

My summer tires are now Eagle F1s
Since I have 2 sets of wheels now, next winter I want to try Continental's winter tires.

Continental ContiWinterContact TS790 V (Performance Winter)

Old 01-14-2005, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

I personally use the Bridgeston Blizzak WS-50's on the stock 17" Avus Wheel. I live in the Northeast, and my driveway is an 1/8 of a mile uphill with a 10% gradient. I am unstoppable with this tire. My mom's Lexus LX 470 wasn't able to make it up the driveway with a couple feet of snow on the ground, so I went out and plowed it for her. I couldn't be happier with the tire. I just recently put the Blizzak on my sisters Passat GLX 4Motion, and the car is a monster.
The WS-50 is the most aggressive tread pattern, really designed specifically for snowy conditions. However, for another $30 or so per tire you could get the LM-22. The LM-22 doesn't have the aggressive tread pattern and garunteed snow peroformance, but comprimises with better dry handling. The WS-50 is an affordable tire, and I would highly recommend it.

-Ben

Old 01-15-2005, 02:39 AM
4th Gear

Yeah, thats what i have the ws 50 on my ko4'd A4 and it is a beast in the snow.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:21 AM
2nd Gear

I've heard great things about Blizaaks in the snow and folks also talk up the Dunlops. I don't have experience with either however. I have only run VredStein WIntracs - and I have to say - I can't imagine a better winter high performance tire. ANd I mean high performance. I could run this tire year round - its that good. Excellent grip under all conditions, quiet, nice ride, corners great and can take the speed! (V XL rated - 150 MPH....I've only tested it to about 135-140 however! yeah - quite grippy & stable....and I also feel quite unstoppable in the snow - with many experiences of being able to stop and start on sttep - snow covered hills - with very little slip - where SUVs and other vehicals were struggling. Its a great tire. Only issue - hard to find - and many dealers (including my local dealer) are out of them for this year with no additional alocation. Still - if you can find them - they are the way to go IMO. Oh and yes - pick up a set of winter wheels to mount them on. I use 17" A4 sport wheels as my winter wheel and 19" RS4 replicas for my summer wheel.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:00 PM

i got a 2005 S4 in late November and took off the Dunlops and put on Pirelli 240 Snow Sports. I have been through some pretty heavy snow and ice here in Denver and they have been excellent performers

Steve

Old 08-23-2005, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

Ok...it is that time of season to start thinking about snow tires.

I'm bumping this thread up to see what everyone is going to be running this year.

Are the Blizzaks really that noisy?

Quick Reply: best snow tires for S4?