S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Bad Tranny? Please Help! UPDATED, TEAR DOWN PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 05:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Bad Tranny? Please Help! UPDATED, TEAR DOWN PICS!

Please help. First off I think this problem started a while ago. Sometimes if I was shifting hard into third and accidently pushed down my tranny would get loose and sloppy and I would miss third. Being used to american V8 cars this is a totally different drive. Well I missed third again, now my shifter just wobbles around like it is attached to nothing. I thought I just ruined my uuc shifter, NOPE. the linkage moves all the way into the tranny. When under the car I can see the linkage that goes into the tranny and it moves.

Has anyone had this happen before? I think I broke the internal shift linkage or the forks. Any ideas on availability of internal tranny parts for this car. See car descrip in sig. Being an ASE master tech I will be doing all the work.

Thanks guys for any help or info on this.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:54 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Bad Tranny? Please Help!

Hopefully it is the transmission linkage/cable(That is, if it has a cable)... I just had to replace it on my 1.8T Jetta... Thank God It was under Warranty.

Either way Good Luck [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 09-03-2005, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: awdjunkies

Hopefully it is the transmission linkage/cable(That is, if it has a cable)... I just had to replace it on my 1.8T Jetta... Thank God It was under Warranty.

Either way Good Luck [sm=signs003.gif]
Like I said the shifter feels like it is attached to nothing, I can move it in a circle if I wanted. I can see it moving all the way to where it goes in the tranny.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:21 AM
1st Gear

Oh mang your gonna think this is kinda funny. But I was all about the 5.0 as well and eventually switched to a 2000 s4. I had a 90 and 91 gt which DID shift very differently. Well i bought my car with 68k and i knew it was gonna need a new tranny and clutch because of the mileage and the fact it had the giac x already installed. Well it also had a UCC short shifter that seemed to be off in the linkage (it was hard to find the right gear....) But anyways I missed a shift on the freeway racing, trying to go from 6th to 4th and OH **** i jammed towards 2nd and fuct the syncros/broke a shifter fork??. It wouldn't go into 2nd or reverse. I think those UCC short-shifters are kinda wack. I've read a number of stories online about peeps blowing their trannys/sycros. I just bought a rebuild tranny off achtuning cause they are close location-wise and I had the rs4 clutch put in and had the tranny done. Cost me like 3k +. geez......... but i think it gonna take some time and money. You must have jammed it hard racing.......cause those s4 trannys are buil to take some wear

Old 09-04-2005, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear

I have heard UCC SS are garbage.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Hmm.. Anyone else wanna offer any advice to this RING ling Bro??..

Old 09-05-2005, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: GoDJ

Oh mang your gonna think this is kinda funny. But I was all about the 5.0 as well and eventually switched to a 2000 s4. I had a 90 and 91 gt which DID shift very differently. Well i bought my car with 68k and i knew it was gonna need a new tranny and clutch because of the mileage and the fact it had the giac x already installed. Well it also had a UCC short shifter that seemed to be off in the linkage (it was hard to find the right gear....) But anyways I missed a shift on the freeway racing, trying to go from 6th to 4th and OH **** i jammed towards 2nd and fuct the syncros/broke a shifter fork??. It wouldn't go into 2nd or reverse. I think those UCC short-shifters are kinda wack. I've read a number of stories online about peeps blowing their trannys/sycros. I just bought a rebuild tranny off achtuning cause they are close location-wise and I had the rs4 clutch put in and had the tranny done. Cost me like 3k +. geez......... but i think it gonna take some time and money. You must have jammed it hard racing.......cause those s4 trannys are buil to take some wear
Funny too. I have been looking into changing this lame shifter out. I will let you guys know what I find when I drop the tranny.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

Put the stock shifter back in, it may have longer shifts but u will have way better feel. Having a short-shifter in an s4 doesn't seem worth it at all. I mean I heard it takes pro drivers to make better times with the short shifters

dave

Old 09-06-2005, 05:00 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: GoDJ

Put the stock shifter back in, it may have longer shifts but u will have way better feel. Having a short-shifter in an s4 doesn't seem worth it at all. I mean I heard it takes pro drivers to make better times with the short shifters

dave
I have considered it since this shifter feels like crap as compared to my aftermarket shifter on my Mustangs. I can shift those things fast as hell. Check out my mustang videos on my website to see what I mean. Listen on this video especially. http://jaybquick.com/Videos.htm

Old 09-06-2005, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

I think I figured it out. Anyone want to confirm this? Basically the 2 pictures show the shift linkage piece that slips over the shift shaft in the tranny. The linkage is A LOT larger, therefor there must be some kind of bushing or insert to keep this in synce instead of just a pinch. There are no keys or splines to hook these together. Anyone know for sure?

Linkage piece

Shift Shaft

Quick Reply: Bad Tranny? Please Help! UPDATED, TEAR DOWN PICS!