S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

B7 S4 New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Default B7 S4 New Owner Questions

Hi All,

I just picked up a 2008 S4 last week and have a few questions I would like to ask the more experienced Audi owners among us. So far, I love the car, but do have a few concerns about the brakes. Please forgive my ignorance and this is my first Audi and I have a lot to learn.

1) The brakes, when stopping in a straight line, sometimes make a squeaking noise. I have been told be my dealership that this is because of the metal brake pads. They said it is normal and will happen sometimes. Is this true?

2) The brakes again - When stopping at a slow speed and turning the wheel, there is a louder humming sound that seems to be happening as soon as I apply the break. It does sound a lot like a power steering hum, but it seems to be coming from the brakes and only happening when the brakes are applied. Maybe I am wrong, but I checked the power steering fluid and it is up to "full".

3) Brakes - Maybe I was just expecting too much, but the brakes do not feel as beefy as I expected. I read so many reviews saying how the braking in the S4 was amazing (better than an M3), but I have to say, it feels pretty average to me. My previous car was an E46 M3 and that thing stopped on a dime. This feels nothing like that. In the M3, if you taped the break you would really feel it...not so much in the S4. Does anyone have any experience driving both cars? Do the S4 brakes just not feel as powerful, but really are? I have not measured distance to stop or anything, but they just feel weak.

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

Squeaking might be an indication the brakes are at the end of there life span for the pads.

Look at the brakes and see if its time for new brakes. That sounds off to me. My brakes are spot on and sure do stop the car very quick. Sounds like you may have a gremlin in the brake system that needs to get looked at.