S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

B6 S4 Track setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default B6 S4 Track setup

hey guys im starting slow but in the process of setting my 04 s4 up for weekend track usage im going to start with the ecs tuning brake upgrades and maybe some sway bars if any of you have some imput let me know thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear

What type of motorsport do you plan on doing most? Autocross, Road course, or Drag?

As far as suspension goes a set of coilovers would help alot in reducing body roll. Sway bars are good too, but id get the C/O kit first. It is expensive but its definitly worth it.

For a little brake upgrade some slotted rotors, more agressive pads, and SS lines will give you better feeling and more bite but on all season tires it really wont make much of a difference which brings me to my next suggestion...

TIRES! Hugely important. In autox r-comp tires get you bumped up a class but they will take seconds off your time. Im not nessicarially reccomending you go buy some hoosiers but this spring it would be well worth it to invest in summer only high performance tires. If youve allready got some, good for you. But seriously this will increase the fun factor by 100x

FWIW I love racing. I started autocrossing in 08, this year im going to go to every event in my area, every saturday and sunday. Im not too interested in drag racing because i feel bad launching my car and beating the **** out of it in the 1/4 mile. Iv never done road course but hopefully ill get to some track days this summer.

My car is chipped and has H&R springs, Bilsten shocks, DBA rotors, and Mintex pads. This summer i used Falken Azenis RT-615's which were GREAT for a cheap tire ($120 a corner). Other stuff im glad i have: JHM short shifter, AWE Drive train stabalizer bar, Snub mount, RS4 clutch and lightweight flywheel.

You can definitly still feel the weight through the corners but with some effort you can hustle em around a track pretty quick. Sway bars would probably help with the annoing understeer that you will without a doubt encounter.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear

Rear sway bar, biggest bang for the buck. You can get the RS4 one for $120 I think, as compared to the same thickness neuspeed thats over $200. You wont see a huge gain from the ecu since you do not have exhaust and DPs yet.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

If your shopping around for a sway bar(front or rear) make sure they're solid and not hollow. Some companies use hollow which are a little thicker making one think that it will be stiffer, but it actually isn't.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

I might wait a little to upgrade the brakes since they're not very wallet friendly. Our factory brakes are already huge, and a big brake kit is only a few mm larger. Look into ECS's slotted rottors though, they're OEM rotors... only slotted. This will help with brake fade and as sour mentioned, SS brake lines will help with the overall feel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...OE%202%20Piece

Last edited by Woodhead2k; 01-26-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

keep the info comin guys i just purchased coilovers and the rs4 rear sway bar the pads are still good on the car so i will wait for the brakes. im using the car for road racing not really and auto-x and def. not drag racing i do have new high performance tires and i do have exhaust other than that the coilovers and sway bar will be the first upgrades but i have been tracking for a while just not in this car i am interested to see what it will do
but please keep the input coming

Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

You know what your doing

What coilovers and exhaust do you have? cat-back or header back?

Id get some slotted rotors and switch to track pads when you race.

Weight reduction would help alot, lightweight weels, new front seats, no spare, lightweight battery, etc etc.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Woodhead2k
I might wait a little to upgrade the brakes since they're not very wallet friendly. Our factory brakes are already huge, and a big brake kit is only a few mm larger. Look into ECS's slotted rottors though, they're OEM rotors... only slotted. This will help with brake fade and as sour mentioned, SS brake lines will help with the overall feel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...OE%202%20Piece
The problem with drilled/slotted rotors is that they can actually crack under some hard driving. They definatly look more aggressive but slotted is the way to go in my opinion.

These cars are heavy, and I don't just mean a B5, but a B6 as well, so quality brakes are a must.

Last edited by skunkoncrunk; 01-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
3rd Gear

Iv heared the same thing about the swiss cheese rotors but never seen any real proof. The stockers are lame, they usually warp. Still, i got DBA slotted instead of drilled, there really is a big difference in bite and driving in the rain. For me slotted or dimpled rotors is a must, i wont do drilled.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear

Same, unless it's Brembo.

Quick Reply: B6 S4 Track setup