S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

B5 S4 Passanger Turbo Whistle / TIP Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 S4 Passanger Turbo Whistle / TIP Question

Hello. I purchased a 2002 B5 S4 TIP two months ago (41,000 miles). Car was bone stock and I changed oil, replaced air filter / cabin filter, etc. I chipped the car a week after I purchased and added the Forge 007's and Samco TBB. Both were in perfect condition when removed with no tears and DV's seemed to be fine.

Question 1:
Ever since the chip (GIAC from AWE Tuning), I get a faint whistle noise from the passanger turbo at 2K rpm's. It doesn't sound like the loud dentist drill but I am concearned (or paranoid) that it is an indication of the turbo on it's way out. It is the passanger side that scares me since it seems that these always go first. It does not make any sounds under heavy throttle but just very easy pedal around 2K to 2.5K rpm's. Any feedback from anyone? Is this normal for a chipped car or am I in for it? Has been the same for the last 2,000 miles (miles under chip). I searched every post and am not sure if this faint sound is normal.

Question 2: I have the GIAC motor chip but AWE is out of the Tip chip for now. The engine dies between shifts if you try to keep full throttle. Is this normal without the Tip chip? Like it pulls very hard thru first but when it tries to shift the power stops. If I let off right as the car shifts I can usually get back into the throttle in 2nd and it pulls hard again. Is there programming that kills the motor / boost between shifts?

Thanks in advance for any help. This forum has been incredible for information and expertise.

Dave

Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: B5 S4 Passanger Turbo Whistle / TIP Question

1. Hard to tell, that is usually where I hear my turbo's. If it's a swooshing type of sound, that's normal for a turbo. If it's a metalic grinding sound, then that's bad.

2. Mine didn't do that with just the GIAC engine chip. However, it will reduce throttle so it can shift, it will even do that with the TCU chip, it's just faster.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

Do you hear the turbo sound at low rpm levels - Between 1500 & 2K?

The other thing I thought of is that the air box is on that side. Maybe this diverts the turbo sound over to that area...

Thanks for the information. Will keep my fingers crossed... Also, the Tip chips should be in sooon and I can see if the shifting improves.

Dave

Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear

Yup, I can hear them. It's almost like a Police siren but quieter. Most of my noise is do to my DP's.

It's a pretty long intake path from the turbo's to the intake. You really shouldn't hear anything from the airbox.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
2nd Gear

telling the difference between blown/blowing turbos and perfectly running ones is EASY.

The noise levels are completely different.
If u have gutted or aftermarket dps' then you will head them spool and it will be kind of Whinney but not too loud just loud enough that you hear it over the exhaust. IF u have stock exhuast then you can really head it spool with aftermakrte downpipes.
When they are blown or if you start to get the illustrious "shaft play" in the turbo then it will sound liek a high pitched dentist drill and it will be REALLY loud. i.e. the video attached to this link. http://youtube.com/watch?v=F_r907Xpqxo

Old 08-12-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys...I appreciate the feedback.

Dave