S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Avid D3 Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Avid D3 Install Help

Hey everyone,

So i finally got around to installing my Avic d3 since its been sitting in my room for over a month now. Im ordering the install parts (radio Harness, dash kit etc.) and i was wondering if their are any problems with the install. I was reading somewhere that the Metra Dash kit doesnt fit and you need to build a custom dash peice for it... (I have no clue how to do that), Is that true?

Also where is the VSS (Speed sensor) wire located on a 2000 Audi s4 Tip?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Default RE: Avid D3 Install Help

go to crutchfield.com they have the best dash kits out there and really cheap, mine was only $20. I believe the sensors and wires are different from 6spd = me to your tippy so sorry there. All I know is it took me four hours altogether and the tapping into the vss sucked, your best place to do that though is near the tranny because thats where the sensor origionates.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
4th Gear

Just installed one in my 02 S4 Tip. Read here:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_843678/tm.htm

Josh

Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

Hey,

Thanks for all your input. I am just a little confused at the Dash Kit. Some people told me that it doesnt fit and others say that you have to cut the bar off the single din kit with a dremel making it a double din, making it fit properly? Also does the dash kit leave any spaces? or is it just a clean Install?

As for the VSS wire i think you can tap into the cruise control module behind the dash board? Or isnt it in the stock radio harness?

Also one more thing? Do i have to buy the double din cage from pioneer in order to make the D3 fit properly? Or will it sent by itself?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 AM
4th Gear

If you get the parts that I listed in that thread you don't have to do anything special. The D3 will slide right in once you attach the brackets that come with the dash kit. THIS DASH KIT WILL FIT! It's the other one that won't. As for the VSS there is a wire already running to the stock radio that you can tie into. I don't remember which one but I know there is a thread on AudiWorld or AudiZine that shows it... I think it's this one: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...r+Avic+install Just look part way down and it shows a picture of a blue wire that he added to the wiring harness so it will feed the VSS off the stock harness. THats what I did and it works great!

josh

Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Alright so july 4th was crazy as i installed the D3 and it looks insane. The overall install was easy, only took about 2 hours to do. Thanks to Paintball guy's thread it was really easy to do. I will post pics up later. Once me and my cousin were done our gf's were drunk pretty much sleeping. So we lit off fireworks and then the cops came and told us to stop otherwise we would be going to jail. They asked for the fireworks and we only gave them 2. We took the rest and went to the soccer fields in Bensonhurst and lit the rest off. what a night.

how was everyone else's 4th of july?