S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Default RE: audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor

dont say you did anything wrong.. def dont mention you drive it really hard, or you might have missed a gear.. then maybe you might get it covered, but keep us posted because that is pretty cool if insurance will do that

Old 11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

If they are claiming you money-shifted and that was the reason your motor is wrecked, you might be screwed. Like someone said, a rev-limiter can't do a thing about a mis-shift. The only way to slow the motor down would be to disengage the clutch.

That being said, I would still try to fight this. The motor in my car has a history of the connecting rod bearings failing. On my particular model, they didn't do a thing about it, but if my motor blows up before 100K miles, BMW will replace it.

Don't let them jerk you around too much. If you honestly didn't mis-shift, this probably isn't your fault.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor

personally I would say its a clear cut case that the rev limiter didn't do its job, a miss shift from 5th to second would have recked the gearbox "fight the case"

Old 11-19-2005, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

personally I would say its a clear cut case that the rev limiter didn't do its job, a miss shift from 5th to second would have recked the gearbox "fight the case"
OMG dude what are you talking about

Do you have any idea what a rev limiter is, and if you do then you would know why it didnt stop the engine

When the engine is connected mechanicly to the ground it is just going to spin until something goes

The rev limiter will only cut the fuel but the tranny what spinning the engine to its death

Old 11-19-2005, 11:10 PM

also a rev limiter is gonna happen insantaneous when u mis shift into a lower gear. BUt as long as the wheels are spinning at that speeding in that drive ratio is will over rev it. THere is not the rev limiter could but cut the gas. They are made for people taht forget to shift so they wont push their engine too far. Not for downshifting!

Old 11-22-2005, 12:49 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Meradin

Over revving is still an accident. "I accidentally shifted into 2nd". It's your fault but it's still an accident. If you drove your car into a tree and your only excuse was that you spaced they would cover it wouldn't they?
No, over-revving is a mechanical malfunction. Normal auto comprehensive or collision insurance would not cover it. I'm in auto insurance claims. I should know.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:11 AM
3rd Gear

So what ever happened. Did they show you the code? Are they still saying its your fault? Give us an update man.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:37 AM
2nd Gear

When I worked at Toyota carlsbad we had a guy come in with the same problem. He blew past his rev limiter in a 2001 Mr2 and supposedly shot his piston rod thru the block. They said he missed a shift and blew past his rev limiter. His last recorded rpm's were at 11,700 and the car redlines at like 7200 I believe. Anyways, they flew guys out and they said it was non warranty. He was outside of the dealership for the next 3 months protesting. You better get a good lawyer.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM

So.. what happened?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by S54 M Coupe
If they are claiming you money-shifted and that was the reason your motor is wrecked, you might be screwed. Like someone said, a rev-limiter can't do a thing about a mis-shift. The only way to slow the motor down would be to disengage the clutch.

That being said, I would still try to fight this. The motor in my car has a history of the connecting rod bearings failing. On my particular model, they didn't do a thing about it, but if my motor blows up before 100K miles, BMW will replace it.

Don't let them jerk you around too much. If you honestly didn't mis-shift, this probably isn't your fault.
haha i was hoping there would be another bimmer guy on this topic. money shifting was a common bmw issue to people who would down shift to second instead of 4th gear and totally over rev the engine even though they all had rev limiters but the wheels spinning over powered the computer like everyone else has said and thus we get the term "money-shift" money= you effed up and now you gotta rebuild your engine. now i know this could be a good case for you to fight but even if you win you're still going to get a car with a branded title and lawyer fees. my suggestion is part the car out, make a couple thousand dollars off of it and buy a new car. why waste 19k dollars on parts and labor whether its your money, insurance money, or audi money on a car thats only going to be worth 4000 dollars resale with a branded title. it may not be what you want to hear and im sorry for this issue you're dealing with and i dont know what all the details are but im just looking at the whole picture

Quick Reply: audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor