S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Default audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor

I have a 2004 S4. It has only 9600 miles. Audi is saying my car was over revved and caused damage to the #6 & 8 valves. Also the pistons hit the valve so hard to create this and 14 of the cylinders are shot. (I hope i explained this right). They flew out special techs from auburn hill to investigaste this. They said it's not a manufacture's defect and is the result of an outside influence because the tech stated that the damage was caused from "a like motion of a up or down shift motion like skipping gears", "he must have gone from 5th to second to create that spike in rpm's". They want me to replace the engine...$19,000.00.
I need help with this since every senior audi tech is telling me that if I missed a gear that severe I sholud have other issues. I don't think my trannsmission would be around and could have gear box problems and if anyone missed a gear like that to cause this damage you would have an accident. I told everyone that i didn't skip gears. I do drive this car hard but that's what it's suppose to do. I told them the only way i did this was goin thru the gears. Maybe there was a faulty rev-limitor??
Audi will not further examine my car. Please..anyone tell me if I'm crazy. If I spiked my RPM's on a down shift like there assuming wouldn't I have further damage to the vehicle???? All the audi employees i talk w/ say they need to prove this statement.?

P.S. This car has already had one engine replaced with only 200 miles because it had bad valve springs At it had a serpintine belt snap because it was missing a roller. It snapped so hard it caused the crank seal to burst and lose all the engine oil.
Do I have a case for a lemon.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor

How do they explain the rev-limiter failing? My understanding is that the rev-limiter kicks in at about 7200rpm, and it de-tunes the car to get the revs back down in a hurry. I thought this was kind of like a fail-safe system. The only time I have ever seen a problem of cylnders bending valves is when a timing belt has broken...I think you have a case. Plus Audi has documented problems with this engine (although I would assume that when they replaced yours the first time that they put in the later design that has to this point been less prone to major failures)

you might checkout audiworld. a couple of guys over there are going through long drawn out problems with audi of america dealing with engine problems and replacements. One is going to arbitration and may end up having to bring a suite.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:49 AM

WTF? dont pay that and im sry to say if they start getting bad and refuse to replace it u may want to consulate a lawyer.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:20 AM
3rd Gear

If you did in fact over rev your engine, there would be a fault in the ecm attesting to that. The rev limiter does infact limit the driver from reving the engine too high using the gas pedal. However when you shift into a fear that is too low theres nothing the ecm can do about the rev limit. The wheels are actually spinning the engine thru the transmission. Shifting into too low of a gear probably wouldnt cause catostrophic damage to the tranny.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:12 PM

talk with a lawyer best thing you could do.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: gbarrel25

Do I have a case for a lemon.
No. I'm pretty sure that lemon laws state something about how the one problem must be "unfixable" (determined by how many times they've "fixed" something only to have the problem continue or reappear after a short time. So in that case, this situation doesn't apply.

If this was something smaller, you might have been able to get it fixed on "good faith", but not a whole engine.

About the only thing you can do now is say that you want permanent and verifiable proof that there is a record in the computer of an over-rev condition occurring. You want to see them read the code that says it happened, you want to see the actual code displayed, and you want to see the book that says in plain English what that code represents (in front of a lawyer if possible). If they can't do that for whatever reason, either they say the code was cleared, or anything, tell them to fix the car immediately, or face legal action.

If they do show you a code that says it was over-revved, sell the car. An over-rev code is usually grounds for total dissipation of any and all warranty coverage without question.

Or (and I didn't say this) perhaps it's time leave the car in the driveway with the keys in it, you know what I'm saying? (or not saying, rather.....)

Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear

That wasn't me talking about letting your car stolen. I don't know what you're talking about. I don't even post here, must've been a bird or something.....

Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Well the way i see it if they brought people from Auburn Hills to look at the car.

And they say it will not be covered under warranty that is it, cause those were engineers and pretty much what they say goes

Old 11-17-2005, 04:03 AM
3rd Gear

Audi engineers arent exactly the brightest bulbs in the box. Whatever they say may go but can they prove it in court. If theres no over rev code there gonna have a hard time explaining why there isnt one. Unless they argue that they dont know what theyre doing and thats why theres no code. But in that case they arent really reliable to judge what caused the engine damage. So theyre kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Administrator

BTW,... Welcome to the forum.. and dont forget to vote in "Ride Of The Month" Sorry to hear about your loss.. did you take it to a private mechanic to see how much for a rebuild?

Quick Reply: audi says it's my fault..19k in damage motor