S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

After driving the S5 for a couple of weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: After driving the S5 for a couple of weeks...

ORIGINAL: Mott Power

Turbo Magazine and Civic DX:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/01...wer/index.html

consensus: about a 10 lb difference for each wheel meant overall 4 wheel hp difference on the dyno

GTI Enthusiest Page:

http://www.ssgti.net/tech/wheel.htm

consensus: "T
he higher the weight of the wheel, the harder the engine has to 'work' to turn the wheel. For instance, say you have a wheel that weigh's 15lbs and another one that weigh's 20lbs. That's an extra 20lbs (5 lbs x 4 wheels) of weight that is being added to the car. It may not seem like much, but that extra 20lbs will cause your GTi to loose 4-6hp at the wheels on a dyno."

Edmunds "Danger of Dubs":
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=104526

"If you dramatically increase unsprung weight, it will decrease wheel control," Traverna says. "Putting big heavy wheels and tires on a vehicle that wasn't designed for it can result in significant traction loss while you're traveling at speed. We build a lot of extra strength into our trucks and SUVs, so swapping 16s for 18s won't hurt anything, but bolting on a set of 22s can result in extra wear and tear on the suspension."

As you increase rotating mass, it's also harder for the brakes to stop the wheel from spinning. This can decrease brake life and increase braking distance. The same principal applies to acceleration, because a heavier wheel is harder to get rolling and acceleration is decreased.

Tirerack Wheel Tech:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=108

Do what you want, but I would not consider my analogy as absurd by any means. I also don't consider "personalizing" something which every other person with some extra cash does to their vehicle now-a-days. More a fade.

This is good stuff, thanks Mott. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

six14, your rudeness is uncalled for. Nobody is saying anything that deserves the replies you are giving.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ptatohed

six14, your rudeness is uncalled for. Nobody is saying anything that deserves the replies you are giving.
Never came off rude dude. Someone calls you out, I am sure you will react. As I stated previously, Your opinions mean nothing, instead of attempting to steer someone away from doing something they desire to do to their vehicle, be helpful, not ignorant and negative.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Born2Shine

Unless you are racing the car, the extra weight of the car is not going to make that much of a difference. Are you running quarter miles every night on the way to the gym? The car will still perform very well with custom rims... and look even better doing so.
So what is the verdict?

Did you purchase your wheels?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

No... I haven't decided on the rims yet. I am definitely not after the "ghetto fab" look. I am not into chrome either. I didn't think the Aicona rims were chrome. Maybe I am wrong. I am more after the polished aluminum or painted look and I have always liked the "star" style rims.

I have seen some rims on a few 6 series Bimmers that are close to the look I am after.

http://www.autoart.com.my/images/aerodynamic/a9.jpg

They are close... but not exactly what I want. I think they are sporty, yet elegant.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

Ah man the entertainment value of this thread has diminished...

Thanks for the info provided here. Unfortunately it came too late for me as I already purchased some very cool looking but very heavy rims. 29 lbs! I'm kinda bummed but oh well, too late. Hopefully all the performance goodies I'm getting next week will make up for it (Revo chip, intake, Miltek dp's and cat-back, Bilstein suspension - can't wait!). I'll post some pics with the new rims once I get it lowered so there'll be an example of form over function :-)

Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

Posted my pics in another thread. Too-heavy rims but I like the way they look. In terms of size, 19s are plenty big for the S4, IMO.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_740969/tm.htm

Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 AM
1st Gear

Big wheels are like fat chicks, some guys dig them even if they run out of breath early. Who am i to judge turning a performance sedan into alesser car? I was young and dumb once too. It is not mine, show pics when you are done.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

yeah pics will be good...