S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

After driving the S5 for a couple of weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:42 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: After driving the S5 for a couple of weeks...

ORIGINAL: Born2Shine

Unless you are racing the car, the extra weight of the car is not going to make that much of a difference. Are you running quarter miles every night on the way to the gym? The car will still perform very well with custom rims... and look even better doing so.
then why'd you buy an S?

only reason i ask is because the A5 has good performance, fun to drive, etc., same basic styling, gorgeous car, so what made you want to get the S5?

Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Mott Power

ORIGINAL: six14life
Agree to disagree with you, if wheels arent your thing, then so be it. Everyone here has different taste andopinion on, "what looks good". I know when my S5is fitted with new shoes, it will retaina subtle, yet, touch of class that will stand out from the next man's car. Forged wheels are the way to go in my opinion and weight concerns are not an issue to me with 400+hp under the hood. Styling is the key ingredient. I will most likely run 20".
no, i agree, do what you like, I'm not telling you what or what not to do, i'm just trying to shoot the idea out, you will notice a big difference if you change to lighter wheels in handling and acceleration to some degree, and that doesn't mean they have to look bad either, keep in mind another inch added is equal to putting about a 10 lb weight on each wheel

i dunno, never saw the point in buying a performance car and then making perform worse, kinda like buying an HDTV and only watching standard cable, but it's your car, i just wanna make sure other ideas were considered
Your analogy is absurd, and I believe the degree of performance loss is insignificant.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Born2Shine

Unless you are racing the car, the extra weight of the car is not going to make that much of a difference. Are you running quarter miles every night on the way to the gym? The car will still perform very well with custom rims... and look even better doing so.
HAHA! I concur!

Let's get real here fellas, these are daily driven vehicles and not Mario Andretti track cars. Styling & Personalizing is #1. If wheels arent your thing, then refrain from replying to this topic. No reason to take it out of context.

That's like me saying a stupid *** remark like, "Stop modding your engine cause you have now sacrificed the reliability of the vehicle performing it's day to day responsibilities." AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

Turbo Magazine and Civic DX:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/01...wer/index.html

consensus: about a 10 lb difference for each wheel meant overall 4 wheel hp difference on the dyno

GTI Enthusiest Page:

http://www.ssgti.net/tech/wheel.htm

consensus: "T
he higher the weight of the wheel, the harder the engine has to 'work' to turn the wheel. For instance, say you have a wheel that weigh's 15lbs and another one that weigh's 20lbs. That's an extra 20lbs (5 lbs x 4 wheels) of weight that is being added to the car. It may not seem like much, but that extra 20lbs will cause your GTi to loose 4-6hp at the wheels on a dyno."

Edmunds "Danger of Dubs":
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=104526

"If you dramatically increase unsprung weight, it will decrease wheel control," Traverna says. "Putting big heavy wheels and tires on a vehicle that wasn't designed for it can result in significant traction loss while you're traveling at speed. We build a lot of extra strength into our trucks and SUVs, so swapping 16s for 18s won't hurt anything, but bolting on a set of 22s can result in extra wear and tear on the suspension."

As you increase rotating mass, it's also harder for the brakes to stop the wheel from spinning. This can decrease brake life and increase braking distance. The same principal applies to acceleration, because a heavier wheel is harder to get rolling and acceleration is decreased.

Tirerack Wheel Tech:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=108

Do what you want, but I would not consider my analogy as absurd by any means. I also don't consider "personalizing" something which every other person with some extra cash does to their vehicle now-a-days. More a fade.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

Agree to disagree with you, if wheels arent your thing, then so be it. Everyone here has different taste andopinion on, "what looks good". I know when my S5is fitted with new shoes, it will retaina subtle, yet, touch of class that will stand out from the next man's car. Forged wheels are the way to go in my opinion and weight concerns are not an issue to me with 400+hp under the hood. Styling is the key ingredient. I will most likely run 20".
how did you get 400+hp? i thought the fsi only got it up to tree-fiddy or so. and as for the wheel weight arguement, newtons first law applies. if you don't care about the static/dynamic weight according to acceleration, or cornering and inertia, why not buy an a 5 with the smaller, more fuel efficient engines (with hp gain potential) and just "represent yo"?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Do what you want, but I would not consider my analogy as absurd by any means. I also don't consider "personalizing" something which every other person with some extra cash does to their vehicle now-a-days. More a fade.
I will keep doing, what I do, best.

You keep stacking your pennies.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear

I will keep doing, what I do, best.

You keep stacking your pennies.

yeah i have to when I'm 20 and still in school, should make some money when I'm in Italy working for Pagani over the summer

... I'm not joking either

Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

yeah i have to when I'm 20 and still in school, should make some money when I'm in Italy working for Pagani over the summer

... I'm not joking either
What will you be doing at "Pagani"..?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

Still a little skeptical and I'm not sure how much I can say, but it would be biased more towards product design and brand languaging. Our school has good ties with Horacio and a former student who was also my professor used to work for him for about two years when the Zonda F was still in development (he actually did all the renderings of the new Zonda R). Anyways, Horacio is looking for student interns over the summer and my professor is going to get me in... says I have to learn Italian first. But I don't care if I'm still counting pennies, it would amazing and learn so much.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear

that is for sure... take advantage of what you can or it will pass you by.

I have taken some welding classes, and I'mgetting ready to take anotherat Lincoln Electric where we will be TIG welding and working with Titanium, Inconel,and Magnesium. Should be sweet.

Good Luck...

Quick Reply: After driving the S5 for a couple of weeks...