S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

ABS System Function Test (Can't exit)- '01 S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 PM
GLD
1st Gear
Default ABS System Function Test (Can't exit)- '01 S4

So my friend was testing out the vag-com before he bought one and entered the brake controller and started the ABS system function test.

Before this I was throwing this code 01422 - Hydraulic Pump for Electronic Stability Program (V156) 35-00 - - and I know what the problem is I just don't care to fix it. (while bleeding brakes pressed too far down, I didn't know the put a block of wood under the pedal trick).

After my friend started the test I now am throwing this code as well 01486 - System Function Test Activated 35-00 - - which the Bentley manual explains once you start you must complete. The road-test starts with one pressing on the brakes until the traction control light turns off and then driving. Problem is because of the first code I can't turn it off and now the ABS light won't turn off if I proceed with the driving test. I've done the procedure 4 or 5 times ignoring the light must turn on part and I can't get the ABS light off.

This is a major problem because I have no ABS. In addition to not having ABS, Audi in their infinite wisdom did not balance the brakes so if the ABS light is on your rear brakes have a higher pressure, thus locking up your rears early. So not only am I missing ABS but I have crappy brake balance. I could care less about the traction control.

So, any way I can fix this without replacing the ABS pump unit (>$800)? Any thoughts?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Did you do all three driving tests? Once you do all three your lights will be gone. If you have a bently it will tell you what to do. If you need more help I can post the different things that must be done to complete test.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
GLD
1st Gear

3 driving tests?

Post up the instructions because I must be missing it. I just see turn on car, press the brake pedal hard until traction control light goes off (I can't make this happen because of the previous issue), then drive making a right turn and a left turn of at least blah blah blah. ABS light should go off.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM

There is a note after the section that tells you to make a right turn of left turn then change direction. This is what it says. While driving around the curves, a yaw rate of 10 degrees/second must be obtained. A curve with a radius of 10 to 12 m and a speed of 15 to 20 km/h for around 4 seconds fulfills this requirement.
I had the same problem with mine. When you get to the last part with the stupid turn thing your lights will be out.