S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2001 S4 (B5) Noobie! Version of VCDS to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Gear
Smile 2001 S4 (B5) Noobie! Version of VCDS to use?

Hi guys,

Story below but in order not to bore you I'll ask the specific question first:

Question 1) What version of VCDS should I be using for a 2001 S4? Or does it even matter?

I am looking to purchase USB cable KKL 409.1 and I am assuming it will suffice if I can unlock the software, but was wondering if I am going to put in the effort, weather I should start off with a newer software or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-c...item19bfb66f53

The story:
I purchased an Audi S4 of my brother a couple of months ago for a pretty decent price. She has a very high milage on her 165K miles, but I figure if I am going to learn things on my own, I might as well not be working on something that does not need fixing.

I was hoping she would last for at least a year before I would have to do anything major (although I did pony up the money and changed the timing belt and water pump straight away).

Unfortunately, yesterday early in the morning and on my way to work, I get on the highway, and she simply dies on me. There was no weird sounds that came out of her, she simply was not getting any fuel into her when I pressed the gas pedal. I managed to get off the highway, roll to a stop, and towed her home.

I am hoping it is something simple (I am a delusional optimist) like the fuel pump relay or fuse. I'll even be happy if the fuel pump needs replacement, and nothing else got damaged during this "unfortunate event"

After going through all the forums and doing some initial research, I understand getting the VAG COM cables and software is going to be where I'll have to start. Without the codes I'll have no clue what I am working on.

Anyway, any advice or simple answer to my question above would help me significantly.

As Noob I am going to try document everything I do and post here for other guys just starting up, as I was getting frustrated reading all the redundant questions new users seem to ask.