S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2001.5 audi s4... replacing CV boot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001.5 audi s4... replacing CV boot?

Hey, just wondering how i would go about replacing my CV boot. do i have to take the hub off to get the CV boot off?

thanks a lot

Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 PM

Yes, once you get the axle off the car cut the old boot off and then either take a press if you have one, or you will see once you have the boot off the fattest part of the axle end, take some steel plate or something and put it on either side then take a mini sledge and punch it on out. The install is the same, slightly more delicate but not too much, you will see where the ring needs to be, just make sure the bearings don't fall out if you turn it to the side too much, they are a bit of a pita to get back in. Also split up your tube of grease evenly for putting it back in, it will get everywhere.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks,

so all i have to do is take off the axle and then do what you said? punch it out. so i don't need to take the hub off and everything?

the way you are saying to do it sounds a whole lot easier than the way i am trying it... I've been following alldata wheel bearing replacement instructions and it is very different. i am definitely putting everything back together and doing it your way if you can clarify that for me once more.

thanks again

Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OnlystreetraceAWD
Hey, just wondering how i would go about replacing my CV boot. do i have to take the hub off to get the CV boot off?

thanks a lot
You need to pull the axle out.

See here: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml

They have 'boot spreaders' but I wouldn't trust one of those. Just pull the axle.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

You don't have to actually take the axle out you can remove the bolts for the control arm and ball joint that hold the hub and the hub will just pull out of the way so you can free up the axle.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

sounds good... theres just one thing.

my upper control arm link bolt is completely jammed. I've pounded on it and took a breaker bar to it and it hasnot moved at all. any suggestions? i thought about taking the lower links off, but i have no press to get the link out anyways. i asked my auto shop teacher if i could take the bolt off the bottom and lower the car onto something so it pushes up the A- arm. dont think that would be a good idea though. dont want to break something.

any suggestions? in the meen time i'm gonna keep pounding on that upper link bolt. thanks a lot guys

Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM

HAHA. Sorry for the laugh, but you have to take one control arm out at a time. How you do that is you take a big punch and you need to wedge it in there to spread open that hard iron that the bolt runs thru as well as what the control arm is pushed down into. You following me? You will see the two openings for each control arm where you can see the bolt run thru wedge that open at the very top or bottom with a chisel like I said, same for the install, have that spread apart before trying to push control arm in. As you will see the tip of the control arm below the rubber boot looks like an hour glass shape.