S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2000 S4 WILL NOT START!!! No CEL, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 S4 WILL NOT START!!! No CEL, HELP!

2000 S4
-6-speed
-APR Stage I Flashed ECU

Alright, lets just get the noob comments over with. . . . . . .Ok, my car has right about 101k miles. I performed a tune-up at around 74k miles which consisted of the ECS Tuning kit with the water pump, timing belt, and all the bells and whistles that came with it. I love my car to death. I haven't been able to drive it for about 3 months now and I have searched everywhere online to see if somebody had/has the same problem as me but I have no luck.

Here is the situation. First I disconnected my battery. I then changed my coolant reservoir tank for the second time (the first reservoir tanks seam broke and the coolant leaked out of the area). After I installed the reservoir tank, I hosed down the engine bay area to get rid of any excess coolant that may have spilled. I connected my battery and let the car sit for a while (around an hour or so). I came back to my car and set my ECU to 93 octane (APR Stage 1 flashed ECU). I waited the appropriate time for the car to sit (i believe it is approximately 3 minutes). I started the car and immediately felt engine hesitation and sputtering. The car was running really rough and I also heard a consistent knocking noise. I shut the car off and let it sit again. I started it up again and it did the same thing. I let it run for a little while. When it was running, the CEL never came on. I turned the car off and disconnected the battery again. I waited for a while and reconnected the battery. I started the car and yet again, the same result as the first time I had started it up. I wanted to take the car around the block and in the process of going up a hill, the car died. It has never started up since that day.
I rented the OBD II and hooked it up to my car and it didn't pull up any codes or any faults.
Since then, I have changed the following:

-Aux. water pump
-Valve cover gaskets
-One (1) coil pack
-Crank position sensor

When I try to start my car (before replacing the parts above) I just get a somewhat whinning/spinning sound. I have checked to see if the timing belt was moving upon startup and it is.
I need my car back, please help with any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

By the way, I have fuel pressure and spark. Fuel pump works, fuel pump relay is fine.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear

post this up on audizine.com. there are only a handful of b5 s4 owners on here. you'll get waaaaay more support over there. not trying to kick you out. i just hate when serious questions dont get answered.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

haha, thanks for the advice