S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

01 s4 tip tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 PM
ds4
1st Gear
Default 01 s4 tip tranny slipping

I'm having an issue with my tranny. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears feel solid but when the tranny is in 4th it slips and feels as if has engaged very little and 5th feels as ifit is in neutral. Any ideas what can be wrong?

Old 02-16-2008, 12:13 AM
ds4
1st Gear
Default RE: 01 s4 tip tranny slipping

Not sure if it makes a difference but I forgot to mentionI just got my k04's and fueling installed and it went into limp mode right before I started having these issues with 4th and 5th gears.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:22 AM

If youhad IPT do a full build including the tc andthe shop that didyour stage 3install, also installedyour tranny and has road tested the vehicle a few times and everything seems fine with the tranny (according to previous post)then...
You should really contact one of the 2 places and find out what they did wrong.

Other than that, it sounds like a you have a set of burnt clutches for that set.

Or maybe when they changed out your turbos they didn't top off your tranny. The tranny cooler lines have to be disconnected when you pull the engine and you have to top it off afterwards because it loses too much fluid. Check the fluid level if nothing else. The more you let it slip the more friction material you will lose and shorten the life of these friction plates. DOn't drive it like this it will give you hell in the end.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 AM
ds4
1st Gear

Well everything felt fine until the shop that did my install did a few wot runs and the tranny slipped during 1-2 shifts. I brought the car to ipt and they looked it over and said my mechanic forgot to fully tighten all the bellhousing bolts and they had to make some repairs. All the repairs were completed and I went to pick up my S today and I road test it. All gears felt great. Tranny shifted crisp and quickly then at wot in first and second gear I go into limp mode. I shut it off and then restart to get out of limp mode and go back to ipt. About ten minutes later I go to leave Ipt and as I get up to about 40-50 mph it starts to slip. Put it in tip mode and down shift into 4th and it slips. Put it in3rd and it feels fine and the same for 2nd and 1st. Also my mechanic refused to take responsibility forIpt's claim that bellhousing bolts were loose and insists he didn't do that.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:41 AM
ds4
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: RED_01

DOn't drive it like this it will give you hell in the end.
I just left it at Ipt after a 6-7 mile road test.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like you spent a $h1tload of money, and you got a bunch of "he said, she said, bull$h1t" ... I'm not questioning the logic, but next time I would have one shop do it all, or space out the services so that you would know who did what and have the ability to correctly place blame. Otherwise, get a new mechanic or start wrenching yourself. Sorry to hear about your pain, hopefully it gets all straightened out.

Shawn

Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 AM
ds4
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shawncumberland

Sounds like you spent a $h1tload of money, and you got a bunch of "he said, she said, bull$h1t" ... I'm not questioning the logic, but next time I would have one shop do it all, or space out the services so that you would know who did what and have the ability to correctly place blame. Otherwise, get a new mechanic or start wrenching yourself. Sorry to hear about your pain, hopefully it gets all straightened out.

Shawn
Your right I have spent a lot of $$.I retrospect I should have done the k04 install and then had ipt do the work on the tranny. I am definitely going to start using a new mechanic. Live and learn I guess